2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not pleased with the Hatch lighting and having to manually turn on the light (and risk forgetting to turn it off), I mounted a mercury switch to the hatch to switch the ground to an LED light strip attached to the underside of the Cargo Cover.

So now once the hatch opens, the light turns on. I put a disconnect at the pivot of the cargo cover in case I need to take it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not pleased with the Hatch lighting and having to manually turn on the light (and risk forgetting to turn it off), I mounted a mercury switch to the hatch to switch the ground to an LED light strip attached to the underside of the Cargo Cover.

So now once the hatch opens, the light turns on. I put a disconnect at the pivot of the cargo cover in case I need to take it out.
Hate to say it, but it already auto turns off when you close the hatch (at least on the 2010). Turn on the light, climb inside, shut the hatch, and you'll see it go off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
D'oh! No kidding... wouuld have saved me the trouble of running a whire up there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
On my 2014, mounted a foot-long strip on the right side of the hatch, below the vents. Had to run the wires from the light on the left side. Even with the optional cargo tray in place, which blocks the stock light, there is still plenty of light now.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts