2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
What part do I pull up on to get the vents off? It feels sturdy and I don't want to use too much force and break something. So nothing needs to be unscrewed before pulling off the vents?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
What part do I pull up on to get the vents off? It feels sturdy and I don't want to use too much force and break something. So nothing needs to be unscrewed before pulling off the vents?
I know there is at least one screw under the flap for the cargo net mount. I believe there is also a trim fastener or screw on the other end of it, close to the rear seat. I had no trouble removing the vent panel. Just look everything over and don't be a bull in a china shop.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Got it, thanks. Also thanks for the Plasti-dip recommendation; it worked out perfectly, aside from a little bit of user error.

The LED on the left side came out perfect. I really like the texture/matte finish and I think the coating will provide a little bit of water resistance should it ever need it. I messed up a little on the right strip: if you look at the top it's not even and matte.

I will do a little more prep today and install tomorrow.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Only took me a month, but I finally took some pics of the hatch lights. Here you go, y'all.

A shot so you can see the articulation of the individual LEDs.

I broke the connection on one of the strips of LED's when I originally installed it so that only 3 would light up and thus put off taking pics. I went back and fixed it this past weekend and the 24 LED's really light up the night. With the rear seats folded down it lights up the entire rear of the car :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
See Page 16 of the Mazda 3 XM/iPod install guide. It tells you in detail how to remove the trunk passenger side trim and the rear latch plastic trim.

I've orderd my LED strips and hopefully all parts will come in today or tomorrow for install this weekend.

Thanks for the writeup OP and others who contributed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got all of my parts in yesterday afternoon and did the install. One of the strips wasn't working so I called Oznium and they are sending me a free replacement. I believe its a bad connection because if I squeeze down on where the wire and led strip connect, it does light up. I'm gonna try and fix the strip today (solder on a new wire).

The one LED strip that's installed looks great. I can't wait to get the other LED strip up and running. I did stick the strip to the vent (like argon's setup) and also used small zip-ties to secure it (in case the adhesive was strong enough).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for all the info here. I just got my strip in, wired it up, and wow what a difference it makes. Everyone that has a hatch owes it to themselves to take 30 mins and $30 to wire in a real hatch light.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Red Dragon, where did you get your LED strips?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's my finished setup.

You can see how I zip-tied the LED strip to the vent. The adhesive didn't feel too strong.

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Are yours the same ones that Stitch used?
shadowfox's are the same as mine, yes.

Red Dragon, where did you get your LED strips?
I'd like to know also. A different LED strip from Oznium?
I had PM'd him before I bought mine, and this is what he said. I was going to get mine from the same place, but after emailing the guy the shipping was outrageous, so I ended up with the Oznium strip. I'm probably going to put another strip in sometime soon.

ReD-DrAgOn said:
Yeah for sure, Ill go take one right now.

You cant really see them since you look down on the hatch, but I took the pics from below just so you can see them. I wanted to zap strap them so the nob thing was behind the plastic but I havent gotten that far yet.

I bought them from Autolismo.com (he is a local guy who is in the bcmazda3.com club haha. he sold me my HID's as well.)
Autolismo - Your Source of Automotive Lighting
If you search him on Facebook "Autolismo"

Mine are the Type 3 tubes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No wonder his hatch is so bright; they really pack in a lot of LEDs on one strip.

Those prices are really cheap; prices listed are in CDN. I wonder if they ship to the US?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts