2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Check these out, Glenn. This is the one I ordered:

Self Adhesive Ultra 30 Led Cool White SMD Bar 450 Lumen 50CM 7.2W [30TRBCW] - $18.90 : Heroledstore.com

It is longer, cheaper, and seems to be the same/similar LED used in the one Stitch ordered (tri-chip); the spacing is also a little more dense from what i can tell so you would be getting more LED's for the same size. The site is claiming 450 lumens for the entire strip, which works out to 15 lumens/led.

I ordered rigid, but they also have flexible strips. Also, these aren't waterproof if you're looking for that, but they sell a few of those too. The downside though is that shipping takes a while since they are in China, but they ship for free for orders over $15.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
450 lumens is crazy bright and that's a great price. The biggest problem I see if that it's not a black board. I guess you could try to mask the LED's and paint it or something. I dunno. Leaving it white is going to be pretty ugly :(

You could get waterproof 50 lumens in black for $16.50. That is approximately how bright my 8-LED strip is.
http://www.heroledstore.com/50cm-black-diamond-24-led-white-strip-waterproof-1w-p-324.html

Overall, I think the Oznium strips are probably a better deal, even though they are a little more expensive.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
It looks like you really cant see the darn things unless you go looking for them.....maybe mounting them behind the vent openings ?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
It looks like you really cant see the darn things unless you go looking for them.....maybe mounting them behind the vent openings ?
I think mounting them behind the vent openings will block a lot of the light. The gaps just aren't big enough and we're talking about wide-angle LED's. The emit 120+ degrees of light, so take that into consideration. It would be worth a shot though. I think my 3mm flat-top LED's might actually fit through the openings, so I may try it sometime.

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
very nice, where did you get the LED strip and how much $ ?
Link is in the original post.

The only problem I see with that one (besides what Derrick already pointed out) is how long it is. It is listed at 50 cm which is about 19.7", so it is 7.7" longer than mine. There is about 3" in front of my strip, so if you put that one all the way to the front it will extend an 4.7" beyond where mine is. Seems a little too long to me, just my opinion though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can cut the 50 cm strip every 3 LED's. I think I am going to make 2 12 LED strips and just keep the 6 left over to play around with because I don't want it to be too long like you said.

The white color is another downside. I am going to temp mount it before I do anything and see how much it stands out. If it looks janky then I will probably spray paint it. Does anyone know if spray painting over the board will have any negative effects? I don't think it produces much heat so I don't think that will be a problem.

Bought all the rest of my supplies for this today. Just waiting on the LED's :) I'll let you guys now how shitty or well they turn out.

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I checked, and that vent pull up, so if you wanted to, you would easily be able to hide those wires a little more
I'm well aware the vent pulls up, I originally tried to route the wires under it to hide them more but it does not work too well. The end of the strip if pretty stiff and trying to get the wires under the vent twists the strip and makes it pull away from the plastic.

One thing I would advise is adding some heatshrink to the LED wire as the red really stands out.
I will be doing that this weekend when I redo the splices.

Overall, I think the Oznium strips are probably a better deal, even though they are a little more expensive.
I agree, not to mention shipping from Oznium was awesome! Order was placed at 1:00PM on Tuesday of last week, shipped at 2:00PM, and came in my mailbox on Thursday afternoon. Pretty impressive considering it was shipped from Northern California and I am in NE Ohio.

You can cut the 50 cm strip every 3 LED's. I think I am going to make 2 12 LED strips and just keep the 6 left over to play around with because I don't want it to be too long like you said.
Good call, didn't even think about that.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
The white color is another downside. I am going to temp mount it before I do anything and see how much it stands out. If it looks janky then I will probably spray paint it. Does anyone know if spray painting over the board will have any negative effects? I don't think it produces much heat so I don't think that will be a problem.
The paint shouldn't have any negative effects on the electronics. It probably won't stick very well to smooth surfaces though. Maybe try plastidip spray or some other coating, rather than a paint.

Btw, I looked at the vents and my 3mm led's will JUST fit through the vent openings. I may try stealth mounting them this weekend. If it works out, I'll post pics.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I made my own LED strip from raw LED's and I only have it on one side. I actually have another one made, but found it unnecessary. You don't really have to remove the vents for any part of the install. Just feed and tuck the wires. I have actually posted pics that included the LED strip, but no one ever noticed. Lol.
Nice, what did you use to house the LED's in your strip? For some reason I thought I had seen lights on both sides. I wanted to do both sides because I often have bags in the back that would block one or both sides relatively often. I also find myself digging into a camera bag relatively often in the dark so light from two angles would be nice.... LOL Can you tell that I like light!

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Nice, what did you use to house the LED's in your strip? For some reason I thought I had seen lights on both sides. I wanted to do both sides because I often have bags in the back that would block one or both sides relatively often. I also find myself digging into a camera bag relatively often in the dark so light from two angles would be nice.... LOL Can you tell that I like light!
They're just soldered to a prototype board that's painted black. There is no housing. It's a very simple setup. If I can hide them behind the vents without blocking light, I may add the other one.

·
Geezer
14 Posts
Anyone given any thoughts to some kind of automatic switch so the lights come on when the hatch is raised? I'd hate to drill for a switch in the door frame. Some kind of tilt switch mounted in the hatch would be better.

·
Hybr1d_7h3ory
29 Posts
Does the dummy bulb kit come with one small enough for the cargo light in the 2010 4 door M3? That thing is itty bitty and I have not been able to find a part number for it. It is a really small wedge base bulb that isnt much bigger than a single LED.

EDIT: it is a 2825. Is that size included in the dummy bulb set?

·
Hybr1d_7h3ory
29 Posts
Suhweet thanks.

I did some research and found that the 2825 is interchangeable with a 194 which comes in the kit (the one you took a pic of).

Again thanks for the help.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts