2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got pretty sick of the little light in the hatch of my car, so I replaced it with an LED strip from Ozinum. This is probably not write-up worthy seeing as it is extremely easy, but I'm bored so why not?

Here is what you will need...
- Wire Strippers
- Electrical Tape
- Ultra-Flexible Tri-Chip LED Strip (I used cool white)
- Dummy Bulbs (these are just for convience, they are not required)

Make sure the switch is off before you do anything. Also, it should be noted that I forgot to take pictures while I was putting it in. So in my pictures of the install, it is already there. Just ignore it :tongue:

First things first, remove the cover under the light.

Then push on the back of the light assembly until it pops out.

Remove the old, crappy bulb.

Put in the dummy bulb with the positive wire going to the side with the switch (if you do not want to use the dummy bulb, you can solder the wires to the terminals, or come up with another way to attach them).

Remove the paper on the back and stick the strip to the underside of the "vent"

Run the wires from the LED strip into the vent and behind the light assembly. Splice the wires coming from the dummy bulb into the wires from the LED strip (I probably should have soldered the wires and heat shrunk them, but I'm not sure where my soldering iron went and I did not feel like going and buying a new one :().

Place the light assembly back into its hole and replace the cover below it.

Done :)

All of the before and after pictures were taken at night with an SD750, no flash.

Before:

After:

Much better, don't you think? :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Stitch, great write-up. My only vice is that the LEDs are attached to the vehicle via a sticky strip. Right now, this shouldn't be an issue with adherence. Unfortunately, our BLAZING hot summers are right around the corner and may affect the glue. Any other options? Also, is the "vent" just aesthetic or functional? If the latter, I wonder if its removable...that way, I could mount the LEDs on the inside. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Nice work! I don't own a hatch, but this seems like an inexpensive, easy, practical mods to make the car better!

Good job!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Stitch, great write-up. My only vice is that the LEDs are attached to the vehicle via a sticky strip. Right now, this shouldn't be an issue with adherence. Unfortunately, our BLAZING hot summers are right around the corner and may affect the glue. Any other options? Also, is the "vent" just aesthetic or functional? If the latter, I wonder if its removable...that way, I could mount the LEDs on the inside. Thoughts?
The vent is not funtional. Any panel in a car is removable, I have had the vent off before. Just kind of a pain in the ass to get back on. But no big deal.

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only vice is that the LEDs are attached to the vehicle via a sticky strip. Right now, this shouldn't be an issue with adherence. Unfortunately, our BLAZING hot summers are right around the corner and may affect the glue. Any other options?
I definitely know what you mean. Even though our summers don't get as hot as yours, it still might be an issue here. I'm not 100% satisfied with the adhesive as is anyway. I put it on last Friday and I have had to re-stick the last (near where the wires are) 1/2" or so of the strip 2 times. It seems solid now though. I will see how it holds up and maybe eventually zip tie it (I know Derrick and Red-Dragon have done that) or find another way to mount it.

Also, is the "vent" just aesthetic or functional? If the latter, I wonder if its removable...that way, I could mount the LEDs on the inside. Thoughts?
From what I can tell, the "vent" serves no purpose. I was thinking about mounting it behind the vent, but figured it was more trouble than it was worth. You can only see the strip if your eyes are below the switch, so it is pretty well concealed. Also, I'm not sure if the vent would block some light and create a bunch of shadows...

·
Registered
732 Posts
very nice, where did you get the LED strip and how much $ ?

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Great job Stitch! I checked, and that vent pull up, so if you wanted to, you would easily be able to hide those wires a little more...but that is just the OCD in me talking...Im sure a couple others will agree. OTher than that, it looks awesome, and I can't wait to do this on mine as well!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice write-up. I ordered my LED's sometime last week and was looking for something like the dummy bulb you used but couldn't find one. It looks good but $3 plus shipping is too much just for the 31 mm dummy so I will probably just find some other way to attach it. I'm thinking of attaching the wires to alligator clips so that they can be put on and removed easily and without soldering.

I am adding lights to both sides like red dragon did, so I'll post up pics on here as well when I'm done.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
The vent is just for a pressure release flap. If you take the back of the car apart, you'll see it in the back corner. There isn't much area for the adhesive to stick to, so I recommend zip ties. The small black type blend into my LED strip, so you can't really see them. One thing I would advise is adding some heatshrink to the LED wire as the red really stands out. Also, I agree that solder and heatshrink > twist and electrical tape. Hell, even a butt connector is better than that. Lol.

Good write-up :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Derrick, pics please!!! Also, how to get the vents off? Just brute force? I'm also thinking of stretching a second set of wires under the plastic housing under the latch hook, past the jack and into the other "vent" to have light emanating from both sides of the luggage area.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, good write up!

I really want to do this as well but with strips on both sides like ReD-DrAgOn and Derrick. I like the idea of having them somewhat easily removed from the oem housing as well. Glennk I am looking forward to your pics!

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I made my own LED strip from raw LED's and I only have it on one side. I actually have another one made, but found it unnecessary. You don't really have to remove the vents for any part of the install. Just feed and tuck the wires. I have actually posted pics that included the LED strip, but no one ever noticed. Lol.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Stitch. I think it came out great. I'd like to keep the blue theme going. Question is do you think that blue led light strips would throw enough light to be usefull. I hate not being able to see whats in my trunk at night. Theres not much light where I park at night. We have blue led's in the foot wells but their kind of just for effect. The light in the trunk right now casts alot of shadows, led's on both sides would be cool.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I made my own LED strip from raw LED's and I only have it on one side. I actually have another one made, but found it unnecessary. You don't really have to remove the vents for any part of the install. Just feed and tuck the wires. I have actually posted pics that included the LED strip, but no one ever noticed. Lol.
Sorry master b....didn't see that. Why did you find it unnecessary?

I'm thinking of getting two 9.5" strips of these..one for each side. http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Problem is, there is no way to compare the light output of these against the ones Stitch used.

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Problem is, there is no way to compare the light output of these against the ones Stitch used.
I had emailed Oznium asking what their brightest LED strip was, and he told me that the Tri-Chip LED Tube was the brightest they had. However, it is 20" long, and I wanted something shorter. I asked him for something a little shorter and he recommended the Ultra-Flexible Tri-Chip LED Strip which is what I ended up using.

·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've already emailed them quite a bit, and Justin (the guy who answers my emails) seems to be getting annoyed with me, lol.

You can email them at [email protected]

Let us know what you come up with!

I agree that solder and heatshrink > twist and electrical tape. Hell, even a butt connector is better than that. Lol.
Yeah, I definitely need to go back and redo the connections. I'll find my soldering iron this weekend and do it the right way :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts