2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Whoever you talked to sounds pretty clueless. The DRLs and the high beams use the same bulb. The system sends lower voltage (about 7v) to the bulbs when in DRL mode and increases the voltage to full capacity when the high beams come on. The R-1 harness uses the passenger side plug to supply power to both high beam bulbs and the driver side plug is used for the resistor to emulate the draw from the halogen bulbs to trick the system so it works properly.
If they are not cheap junk, there is zero reason why those bulbs should not work other than a bad harness or incorrect installation. Send all the bulbs back, return the possibly defective harness and start from scratch. Did you check the harness for continuity etc to see if it actually works?
These bulbs work absolutely....
You want two 9005 bulbs, two H11 bulbs and one R-1 harness. This should work.
Using LEDs in the low beam side only may result in poor high beam visibility. The low beams will illuminate the foreground brightly, and distance vision with the less bright halogen high beams will be washed out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OP, Morimoto is the way to go. If anyone else is looking at this thread, don't do eBay. Honestly that's dumb. I've sold cars to owners who have sold to new owners who contact me for free bulbs/electronics/resistors. Morimoto is the best warranty in the industry. Highly recommended.

The best products, that crown goes to VLEDs. You get what you pay for, they say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The harness doesn't change anything, its just an adapter to fit the LEDS to the car so they work correctly. Its just some wires and plugs.
Just to confirm then, with that harness the LED bulbs do operate at a dimmer brightness in DRL mode? And you've had no issues in terms of durability with them running on the lower voltage? That link you shared is dead but I saw these Philips bulbs on Amazon that look promising, if a bit expensive. Philips 9005XUX2 White X-tremeUltinon Automotive 9005 LED Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2, Exterior Accessories - Amazon Canada

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Just to confirm then, with that harness the LED bulbs do operate at a dimmer brightness in DRL mode? And you've had no issues in terms of durability with them running on the lower voltage? That link you shared is dead but I saw these Philips bulbs on Amazon that look promising, if a bit expensive. Philips 9005XUX2 White X-tremeUltinon Automotive 9005 LED Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2, Exterior Accessories - Amazon Canada
DRLs

High beams

No problems so far. Still working fine.
These are the bulbs I have -

The bulbs in your link are waaaay too expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
DRLs

High beams

No problems so far. Still working fine.
These are the bulbs I have -

The bulbs in your link are waaaay too expensive.
Thank you for your as always helpful advice! I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got my bulbs and R1 harness almost installed, works perfect in DRL and high beam! Will post pictures when I get everything out back together. Just want to clarify, on the passenger side of the harness there is one input and two outputs, I'm assuming you capped the extra output and I'm not missing something?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts