2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't be happier with these LED bulbs. I purchased 2 sets. One for DRL (9005) and one for Fogs (H11). The pure white light is great because they match my HIDs in the projectors. Install was a breeze as it is simply plug and play. I attached the ballasts to the crash bar and the bumper with double sided tape in order to make sure they did not move.

I went to a concert last night and on the way I drove through tons of fog on some country roads. THe fogs did exactly what I wanted them to. I could see the road when before the HIDs just couldn't do the job themselves. The DRL works great as well. since I have the iTouring I also use these as my high beams. I can honestly say that I was skeptical as first but after trying them last night I was blown away by how bright they were. They lit up the road as much as halogens could.

I couldn't recomend a better set of bulbs for this application on our cars.

Attached are pictures of how to install and mount the bulbs.

Morimoto XB LED Headlight Bulbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also looking around for LED/HIDs for my 2015 3s Touring.

Also these are listed as not to be used for low beam. Can someone explain why?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm also looking around for LED/HIDs for my 2015 3s Touring.

Also these are listed as not to be used for low beam. Can someone explain why?
Those type of LED bulbs don't put out as much light as a halogen and thus would be a downgrade and safety hazard if used as a headlight bulb. This type of bulb also is not recommended for use in projector housings. I am using the bulb in my fog lights and love it as I am only concerned with something that looks nice and matches my HID's. But in terms of light output they do not compare to halogen or HID.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those type of LED bulbs don't put out as much light as a halogen and thus would be a downgrade and safety hazard if used as a headlight bulb. This type of bulb also is not recommended for use in projector housings. I am using the bulb in my fog lights and love it as I am only concerned with something that looks nice and matches my HID's. But in terms of light output they do not compare to halogen or HID.
Their lumen rating is about what HIDs will be though. The only thing I can think of is the way the light scatters from them but I wouldn't think that would matter as much in a projector housing, although I'm not sure that it would fit with the large heatsink. :confused1 1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone used these Morimoto XB LED bulbs for DRL's/High beams?

Morimoto XB LED Headlight Bulbs
I have almost the same LED's bought from ebay as high beams they are really bright, but do not work as DRL's because the DRL voltage is not constant, it is a pulse. I actually think they would be too bight as DRLs at full output and they are much brighter than the halogens. I am buying an extension wire harness to so I can add a capacitor across the +- to keep the voltage constant (I don't want to cut the original harness), I will also see if I can install a LED PWM dimmer to reduce the output for DRL function, but have full brightness for high beams.

Their lumen rating is about what HIDs will be though. The only thing I can think of is the way the light scatters from them but I wouldn't think that would matter as much in a projector housing, although I'm not sure that it would fit with the large heatsink. :confused1 1:
I am also using pretty much the same LED's bought from ebay as my low beam which are much brighter than the halogens the output is much better. I posted a few pictures on another thread but here is the beam. The heat sink also fits no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried basic 9005 LEDs with these:

And I had no luck in DRL.. They work with I turn high beams ON, though..

Also, I had no luck with HIDs in the high beams, anybody have tried that ??

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
I was going to start a new thread to ask my question, but found this old one. Revival time.

I have very bright LED 9005 HB3 bulbs as hi beams but they do not work as DRL's. Has anybody come up with a solution to this where they can make them also work as DRL's? Anybody with specific resistors that work where a link can be posted? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
Those bulbs won't work as DRLs. No LEDs will. You need to have a separate add-on decoder harness to make the DRLs work with LEDs. I got one from iJDMtoy. Its the R1 option for 9005 bulbs.

Special LED Daytime Running Light Decoder Wiring Relay Kit

The DRLs are the high beam bulbs run at about 7 volts. With LEDs, the ECU won't illuminate the DRLs properly. The R1 harness plugs into the headlight power supply for the right headlight, and runs across to the left side. Both lights are powered by the harness. The power supply for the left side is plugged into a ballast resistor to trick the ECU into operating the DRLs.
Those LED bulbs you have may not function all that well as headlights either. Most are too short and don't allow the reflector to focus the beam properly if at all. Very bright is useless if the light is not focused on the road in front of you. Most LEDs just scatter the light everywhere, especially bad for on coming traffic. The emitter chips need to be located at the same height as the filament in the halogens would have been.

These bulbs, or something similar is what you need to get illumination at any distance.

H4 H8 H9 H11 9005 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Replacement

I have just installed a set of these 9005 bulbs and find they do work quite well. They do need a bit of tweaking but focus the same as the halogens.
The emitters need to be located at 90° and 270° to work in the reflector in your car. Out of the box, they are about 10° off vertical. So, you need to take off the collar and modify it slightly to get it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
awesome arathol...with this decoder relay i will be able to switch out my drl's with LED's.
as well as switch my lo beams to HID's

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
awesome arathol...with this decoder relay i will be able to switch out my drl's with LED's.
as well as switch my lo beams to HID's
First, its not a relay, its just a wiring harness and a ballast resistor.
The DRLs are the high beam bulbs too, and yes you will be able to use LEDs to replace those bulbs and retain full functionality. This has nothing to do with the low beams. This system is only for replacing the high beam halogens with LEDs, nothing to do with HIDs.
If you have halogen projector low beams, the H11 version of the bulbs linked to in the post above will work very well, no other parts or wiring needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry just going based off the orginal jdm toy listing "Special LED Daytime Running Light Decoder WIRING RELAY KIT for installing LED bulbs on high beam as DRL lamps"

·
Registered
720 Posts
My bi-LED lights are brighter and better focused than my HIDs in the 2014.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts