2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was curious if anyone had installed standalone LED bulbs for the parking lights and turn signals. I saw the iJDMTOY LED turn signals/DRLs, but I wasn't really wanting to spend that amount either haha.

I know on my GTI, on some of the circuits, resistors are needed in order for them to work. That's my main question. Do the standalone bulbs work for the parking lights and turn signals? I have a 2015 iSport hatchback with the halogen DRLs disabled.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

I was curious if anyone had installed standalone LED bulbs for the parking lights and turn signals. I saw the iJDMTOY LED turn signals/DRLs, but I wasn't really wanting to spend that amount either haha.

I know on my GTI, on some of the circuits, resistors are needed in order for them to work. That's my main question. Do the standalone bulbs work for the parking lights and turn signals? I have a 2015 iSport hatchback with the halogen DRLs disabled.
iJDMTOY kit is legit. Looks awesome and is plug and play. May seem like a lot, but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Resistors are needed only for the turn signal LEDs. I mounted 4 of the 6 ohm resistors on the back and used Vleds for the bulbs. The trick for selecting a good bulb is to make sure the LEDs are as close to the base as possible to best utilize the reflectors in the housing. If you want bulbs that won't hurt your eyes to look at, get COB kind of bulbs their light output is even and easy on the eyes. I used those on my fogs, side markers and reverse lights.

Here's the list of my current set-up
Turn Signal Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.23.02 AM.png Fog Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.23.46 AM.png 'Reverse Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.20.50 AM.png Side Marker Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 3.34.09 PM.png

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought these for my parking lights. After installing, I had the dealership disable the DRLs. I tried disabling them myself but was unsuccessful. I was running with DRL fuse pulled for a while. After a trip to the dealer for the 5000 mile checkup, they were able to disable them for me.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0443ZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Resistors are needed only for the turn signal LEDs. I mounted 4 of the 6 ohm resistors on the back and used Vleds for the bulbs.
Would you be able to share some photos of where you mounted your resistors? I'd like to mount mine to the tail light bolts but I'm worried they'll melt the plastic housing through the body of the car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Would you be able to share some photos of where you mounted your resistors? I'd like to mount mine to the tail light bolts but I'm worried they'll melt the plastic housing through the body of the car.
i'm not sure that's a good place to mount it either, might be too close to the plastic housing. I used thermal adhesive to mount mine away from the plastics.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the iJDMTOY kit has the resistors built in ? I'd rather spend a few more $ to prevent in mishaps due to my negligence lol. They're pricey, $40 EACH BULB.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
So the iJDMTOY kit has the resistors built in ? I'd rather spend a few more $ to prevent in mishaps due to my negligence lol. They're pricey, $40 EACH BULB.
I am using the LED turn signals with built in resistors and they are pretty good but it was about $50 a pair. The built in resistors on these do not get super hot like the ones that you have to tap into the wiring. I had the emergency blinkers on for over 5 minutes and the plastic resistor box was just a little bit warm. I'm not good with splicing and tapping wires so they were great for me too lol

Edit: this is the similar kit I'm using

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-Flash-7440-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs-p/20-001.htm

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am using the LED turn signals with built in resistors and they are pretty good but it was about $50 a pair. The built in resistors on these do not get super hot like the ones that you have to tap into the wiring. I had the emergency blinkers on for over 5 minutes and the plastic resistor box was just a little bit warm. I'm not good with splicing and tapping wires so they were great for me too lol

No Hyper Flash 7440 LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs, Plug-N-Play Style
Are you using these for the front and rear turn signals? IIRC, they're the same bulb. Superbrightleds has similar bulbs for about the same cost.

I'd love to rock the OEM LED tails, but they're $250 a piece and they still don't have LED turn signals which IMO is the whole point of "upgrading" the entire tail light.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are you using these for the front and rear turn signals? IIRC, they're the same bulb. Superbrightleds has similar bulbs for about the same cost.

I'd love to rock the OEM LED tails, but they're $250 a piece and they still don't have LED turn signals which IMO is the whole point of "upgrading" the entire tail light.
Yeah I have them for both the front and back, they're the same bulb. I did recently changed out the back ones to red LED since I tinted the turn signal portion red. The amber LED plus red vinyl made it look a bit pinkish at night lol

·
Registered
290 Posts

No Hyper Flash 7440 LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs, Plug-N-Play Style
Are the resistors REALLY built in??
Or did they just add a plug and play 7443\7440 LED Resistor like this?
If so.. then you can just get any LED bulb and buy one of these plug and play resistors on ebay for cheap instead of paying $50

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I have them for both the front and back, they're the same bulb. I did recently changed out the back ones to red LED since I tinted the turn signal portion red. The amber LED plus red vinyl made it look a bit pinkish at night lol
Haha yeah I bet. Do you have any videos of them by chance? You don't still have your amber ones do you?

Are the resistors REALLY built in??
Or did they just add a plug and play 7443\7440 LED Resistor like this?
If so.. then you can just get any LED bulb and buy one of these plug and play resistors on ebay for cheap instead of paying $50

According to the link lowincash posted, they're built in. Some of those cheaper bulbs may not work, at least in my experience with VW's. But VW's use CANBUS.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Haha yeah I bet. Do you have any videos of them by chance? You don't still have your amber ones do you?

According to the link lowincash posted, they're built in. Some of those cheaper bulbs may not work, at least in my experience with VW's. But VW's use CANBUS.
I followed the link to the iJDMTOY page...
Looks like they do come with them
well that's very misleading

Features

US patent pending
21 pieces high power 5730-SMD LED Emitter per bulb
Much brighter than the stock 7440 turn signal bulb
Plug and play design with no modification required for the installation
Come with Plug-N-Play decoders so no need to add additional load resistors
No more annoying hyper flash problem
Fit: most Japanese cars such as Acura, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Toyota etc replacing the 7440 single filament bulbs (?) for front or rear turn signal lights ONLY
Available color: amber yellow
Content: one pair (2 pieces)
See more product details

This page features one set Error Free No Resistor Required 21-SMD-5730 7440 LED Bulbs with Plug-N-Play cancellers, exclusively designed for front turn signal lights or rear turn signal lights ONLY.

·
Working Class Hero
3,569 Posts
If you read the customer reviews, you'll find that these come as a kit with weather sealed plug and play resistors. They claim they don't generate the kind of heat that spliced in resistors do and can be attached to a flat surface with double sided tape or zip tied to something. I think it would be a safe purchase and they do warranty for 90 days.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah the ones from ijdmtoy comes with the resistor thingy pictured above. However, they have different connection to the bulbs using a red and black wire. I just call them built in since I didn't need to do any splicing. Should have said plug and play lol I have mine attached using double sided tape too and they don't get hot after long use. Overall it's a much easier and safer way than the splicing wires method.

·
Working Class Hero
3,569 Posts
Just ordered a full set. I like how this works. Also, the bulbs themselves seem to be pretty bright, and that's a must, along with good quality. There's a zillion cheap ass led bulbs out there. Got no time for any of them.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts