2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding this little endeavor I want to do to my 2015 3 i-Touring. I do a lot of night driving, and i find the stock bulbs brightness happens to be subpar. I upgraded them to a brighter aftermarket halogen bulb and after 3 months one already blew out. I'm researching an LED conversion but was thinking of simply upgrading to the s-Touring headlights which require the entire assembly. Has anyone done this and is it plug and play? I'm trying to keep my DRLs as well. Has anyone also upgraded their high beams and fog lights?

Also I'm really digging the signature grille illumination on the new 6s. There is a kit to add them from Mazda available overseas, and it seems to be plug and play. Has anyone tried duplicating these results on a 3?

Sorry for all the questions. But figured I'd get to this as I might be replacing my front bumper panel in the next couple months and figure I would do a few upgrades to the lighting.

·
Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
I have a question regarding this little endeavor I want to do to my 2015 3 i-Touring. I do a lot of night driving, and i find the stock bulbs brightness happens to be subpar. I upgraded them to a brighter aftermarket halogen bulb and after 3 months one already blew out. I'm researching an LED conversion but was thinking of simply upgrading to the s-Touring headlights which require the entire assembly. Has anyone done this and is it plug and play? I'm trying to keep my DRLs as well. Has anyone also upgraded their high beams and fog lights?
I upgraded both high and low beams, tail, signal and brake lights to LED.
The lows are significantly better with the LED upgrade.
The high beams don't work well with any bulbs. They are a lot brighter but the reflector doesn't focus the light properly. Being that the high beams are also the DRLs, it just would not be a good idea to have focused high beam lights on all the time, so they just throw light out in every direction but where it should be going. Mazda should have used the low beams as the DRLs and designed a more functional focused high beam.
iJDMTOY has a kit for the high beam conversion, with the necessary wiring harness, resistors etc. to make the DRLs work with the LED bulbs. You can't just pop in the bulbs and have both work.
They also have a good H11 low beam kit with integral heat sink, drivers etc to make them work. They produce a very clean bright white light, very near to daylight.

·
Registered
879 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts