2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned to someone that i like to leave the keyless fob in the car, while in my garage or at work and only take it out when i lock car. Does this actually run down the engine battery or if it does, the voltage draw is really insignificant?
thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you leave the keyless fob in your car, doesnt that mean someone else can open the door or start your car and drive away?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,466 Posts
Where do you work? I always wanted a second car...
CK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes it does, but it's a pretty low percentage that someone would know keys are there and drive off, either my garage or where i work, i'll always take fob if needed. I've always left them in car when parked in garage...

·
Registered
690 Posts
In the UK, your insurance would be void if your car is stolen and you would get no pay out. All cars are required to be locked - not left with a key in the car! I wonder though does the key battery drain if you leave it in the car? Is the car always polling the key and the key responding via RF link or does the key only transmit once when you start the engine?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
In the U.S. the percentage of vehicles stolen with the keys/fob inside is increasing every year.

Relatedly, the percentage of vehicles being left unlocked each year is also increasing. Finally, the percentage of vehicles which are broken into which have visible items inside (begging “steal me, steal me”), remains over 50%.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
Car thieves around here know that a lot of people leave key fobs in the car. Its pretty common practice to walk around parking lots just opening car doors and trying the button. Lots of cars get stolen/hijacked at gas pumps this way also.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well in Israel we have what we called a "Kodan", basically an extra anti-theft mechanism hardwired to the battery of the car. You need to put a 4 or 6 digit code in order to be able to start the car, this "Kodan" gives you the option to try for ignition ONLY, then the key fob needs to be present in order to START the car. So for example if you don't put the code properly and have the key fob, the car will never start.

So even if hypothetically I would leave my key fob inside the car I would not be worried since they need to overpass that system first. Is it possible to override the system? Of course it is, but also... Why the hell would I leave my key fob in my car in the first place!? My key fob will always be in my pocket and nowhere else.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Here in the US we also have an additional optional anti theft system available. Its called a 6 speed manual transmission. :laughing001:
That wouldn't work in the UK!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,466 Posts
Sorry, it's just not something I would ever consider doing...

It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a key for the car.

You should be fine, as long as no one wonders why your ignition light is green.
CK

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sorry, it's just not something I would ever consider doing...

It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a key for the car.

You should be fine, as long as no one wonders why your ignition light is green.
CK
On my manual car, the ignition light only shows green when you press the clutch pedal to start the engine.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
If anything, wouldn't it degrade the key fobs battery by doing this?
I'd imagine the constant NFC communication between the ignition and the fob would not be forgiving on the fob's tiny little battery. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, that's what i'm trying to verify, I'm getting conflicting statements from people that claim to know, I'll keep digging.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I _guess_ thet the key will communicate only when asked to = when you press the pedal.

I _know_ that at least german cars are unhappy if you leave the car and try to lock with the second key while one key is inside. still, that might mean that the car checks for a key only in the moment it gets locked.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It would be interesting to know if there is periodic signalling between the key and car whilst the engine is running or whether the handshaking only occurs when you start the engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I _guess_ thet the key will communicate only when asked to = when you press the pedal.

I _know_ that at least german cars are unhappy if you leave the car and try to lock with the second key while one key is inside. still, that might mean that the car checks for a key only in the moment it gets locked.
That is my guess too. There is no need for the car to communicate with the key except on demand. Doesn't mean its not implemented stupidly but foot on brake, and on lock signal are 2 times that make sense to check, nothing else really.

Our cars also are unhappy if you leave the car and try to lock it with the second one inside. It doesn't make a ruckus, it reserves that for BSM, RCTA, etc. but it refuses to do anything like if you've got a door open. Won't flash indicators, won't lock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts