2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 ST with ~21k miles. I thought the steering wheel had some grim at the typical grip locations, but when I cleaned off the steering wheel it turns out the grim was actually where the "leather" was peeling off. I'm really surprised considering how little time and use the car has had.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the appearance of the peeling?

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
Oils from your hand as well the sun and heat will quickly deteriorate leather steering wheels.

I recommend to just get a leather cover and keep at least a small pack of wipes in your vehicles and wile not only your hands but the steering wheel occasionally. And use leather treatment regularly to reduce wear and keep it looking good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe something like this would. It's not too expensive and has good reviews.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Restore-Material-Scratch-Restoration/dp/B076MCKGRW/[/ame]

·
Registered
560 Posts
otherwise, not knowing the history having bought a used car....the previous owner may have used incorrect cleaners or may have in fact had some funky body chemical balance. Also, as mentioned above, the sun can manifest cleaners and acids (such as citrus) into a nasty burn as it does regularly to people's skin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's past it's original 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. It is a certified pre-owed from the Mazda dealer which apparently adds some additional warranty, but I'm not sure if this kind of this is covered.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What did the stealership say when you asked them about the damage? Are they going to fix it for you? Will they fit a replacement wheel for free if you source it yourself from a wreckers?

·
Registered
134 Posts
My concern is that does it covered by the warranty if it’s caused by wear and tear? I also have this problem on my steering wheel but it’s on the left side. :(

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Banned
842 Posts
My concern is that does it covered by the warranty if it’s caused by wear and tear? I also have this problem on my steering wheel but it’s on the left side. :(
This does not look IMO to be a defect and may or may not be covered under the original warranty from the original owner.
If you request and if the dealership agrees that it may be questionable they can submit a dealership reimbursement warranty claim?
IMHO I would simply move on and get a cover. As I read you are not the original owner and you did not indicate purchasing it used from a MAZDA dealership?
The pictures you posted are the 2 most common places to hold a steering wheel and are most subject to being damaged by hand oils and other substances on dirty hands. The top of the steering wheel which is in direct sunlight is the second most wear area and the pictures look fine in the area. So this also support the idea that it is not covered warranty part due to a defect in the materiel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This does not look IMO to be a defect and may or may not be covered under the original warranty from the original owner.
If you request and if the dealership agrees that it may be questionable they can submit a dealership reimbursement warranty claim?
IMHO I would simply move on and get a cover. As I read you are not the original owner and you did not indicate purchasing it used from a MAZDA dealership?
The pictures you posted are the 2 most common places to hold a steering wheel and are most subject to being damaged by hand oils and other substances on dirty hands. The top of the steering wheel which is in direct sunlight is the second most wear area and the pictures look fine in the area. So this also support the idea that it is not covered warranty part due to a defect in the materiel.

Thanks for the reply, but I think you might replied to the wrong person dude.

I am the first owner of my car and I thought normal wear and tear is not covered by the warranty, but I’ll confirm with the dealer anyways.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I think you might replied to the wrong person dude.

I am the first owner of my car and I thought normal wear and tear is not covered by the warranty, but I’ll confirm with the dealer anyways.

Thanks again.

Yup ....lol
I went only by pictures.

However I will be interested to see if a steering wheel with that kind of wear will be covered. My guess not unless it is a Dealership courticy.
But truly GOOD LUCK! o

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Shipping charge to NJ is $12. Shipping to San Francisco is $32. If you decide to go this route maybe find an online dealer that is closer to you.

Don

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why should it matter if he is the original owner? Car warranties are transferable.

In this case though, I would expect the dealer to balk, as this looks like a wear-and-tear issue. The previous owner may have been wearing some weird ring or something that caused this damage. And since the damage was already on the car when it was bought by the current owner and it was in a pretty obvious place, then the dealer is not likely to be very receptive. It's like complaining that the car has curbed rims; sure, complain about it while negotiating the purchase to bring the price down, but once it's yours, it's too late...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts