2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've had my 2016 Mazda3 SGT since December 2015 and it already has a tear in the back leather seat on the seat. It's a V shaped tear - probably from the weight of my dog's paw. I did use a seat cover so it must have been through that. My past car (Protege5) transported the same dog for 8 years with never a problem - but it had the cloth seats. Is this just a fact of life for leather ? My sister (a Honda owner) with leather seats says no-way - she transports her two big dogs in the back seat of her car and other than scratches never had a tear - and her seats do seem to have a lot thicker leather.

Anyway, if it is my problem to fix - are there any recommended approaches/kits or will the dealer be the best choice ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I've had my 2016 Mazda3 SGT since December 2015 and it already has a tear in the back leather seat on the seat. It's a V shaped tear - probably from the weight of my dog's paw. ... Is this just a fact of life for leather ? My sister (a Honda owner) with leather seats says no-way - she transports her two big dogs in the back seat of her car and other than scratches never had a tear - and her seats do seem to have a lot thicker leather.
Are you sure it's leather? In the sGT, the seats are not 100% leather; parts are leather, and parts are pleather/vinyl/fake leather. Real leather should not be easily torn like that, but the fake stuff can. The real leather is on the seating surfaces, the parts you touch when you sit there. The fake stuff is in the other places where they hope you won't notice it, especially in that middle section I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure it's leather? In the sGT, the seats are not 100% leather; parts are leather, and parts are pleather/vinyl/fake leather. Real leather should not be easily torn like that, but the fake stuff can. The real leather is on the seating surfaces, the parts you touch when you sit there. The fake stuff is in the other places where they hope you won't notice it, especially in that middle section I think.
Well, the tear is on the seating surface - so if you are correct it should be the leather part. Mazda calls their fake leather "Leatherette". Funny how the keep coming up with new names for fake leather. Now, reading the brochure it says "leather-trimmed" so probably its the opposite - the seat is not leather and the bolsters are.

Still, I wonder if it can be repaired. Leather is probably easier to repair too :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is pretty funny. I have a 30 lb dog too and I'm starting to see v shaped cut all over my seat. Seriously this car is not dog friendly. My old 2003 Honda accord have very thick fake leather that took my dog abuse for over two years and other dogs tooo without issue. The fabric feel soft and thin..... amazingly it have not come apart yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

So I've had my 2016 Mazda3 SGT since December 2015 and it already has a tear in the back leather seat on the seat. It's a V shaped tear - probably from the weight of my dog's paw. I did use a seat cover so it must have been through that. My past car (Protege5) transported the same dog for 8 years with never a problem - but it had the cloth seats. Is this just a fact of life for leather ? My sister (a Honda owner) with leather seats says no-way - she transports her two big dogs in the back seat of her car and other than scratches never had a tear - and her seats do seem to have a lot thicker leather.

Anyway, if it is my problem to fix - are there any recommended approaches/kits or will the dealer be the best choice ?
I have a 2018 CX 3 and the front passenger seat has a V tear in it and getting bigger. I have been back to the dealer for a warranty replacement. It has been about 3 weeks and no response as yet.
I also have the rear window wiper runs when I start the car with it in the off position. The blade stops in different positions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2018 CX 3 and the front passenger seat has a V tear in it and getting bigger. I have been back to the dealer for a warranty replacement. It has been about 3 weeks and no response as yet.
I also have the rear window wiper runs when I start the car with it in the off position. The blade stops in different positions.
My M3 has tears in the back seat also done by my grandkids car seats I have the heated seat holes in the center section of my seats they tear easily I am getting the center sections replaced with leather without the perforated leather one shop told me they would do it for $600.00. much cheaper than getting the whole seat covers replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My M3 has tears in the back seat also done by my grandkids car seats I have the heated seat holes in the center section of my seats they tear easily I am getting the center sections replaced with leather without the perforated leather one shop told me they would do it for $600.00. much cheaper than getting the whole seat covers replaced.
You can blame the grandchildren's car seats, but the tear that I have on the front passenger's seat is from normal use. These seats are not fit for purpose. Your rear sear should be able to handle a childs seat without tearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mazda Australia got back to me with regards to the tear in the front passenger seat. Despite the 5 year warranty they say that it is my problem, end of discussion. I asked to talk to someone with higher authority and it was denied. The damaged seat feels softer than the drivers seat, I will be going to an upholsterer, for a professional opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This was the reply I received back middle of last November 2019 ( a vertical tear on the driver's seat at the front left corner where the seam is/near..on the vinyl section, not the perforated leather section) ..sorry I thought 3 years meant everything...didn't know about this 'Adjustment Warranty' period of 12 months.

Service Request Number 1-2420859917

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center! We appreciate you being part of our Mazda family, Dennis, and I would be happy to help with this.

I am very sorry to hear that a tear has formed on the driver’s seat leather or vinyl. I can certainly understand the frustration behind this happening a second time, especially when it was replaced at no cost to you on the first occurrence but not the second. I’m glad you reached out to us and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Upon further research of your initial repair in June 2018 and your request for repair in August 2019, I see that the technicians found this tear to be caused by normal wear and tear each time. Mazda manufacturer warranty only covers wear and tear under the 12,000 miles or 12 months Adjustment Warranty. At the time of your first repair, your Mazda3 had already exceeded the Adjustments Warranty parameters by about 5 months and less than 3,000 miles. This repair was covered at no cost to you anyway as a one-time courtesy for being a valued Mazda customer.

At this time, being that the Adjustments Warranty parameters for repairs due to wear and tear have been exceeded by nearly 2 years and roughly 16,000 miles, the repairs will no longer be covered by Mazda. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate you alerting us to this concern so that it may be documented internally for review. Should information on a larger related concern arise, we will certainly notify you via first class USPS mail for more information.

Please do not hesitate to reconnect with us if you have further questions. You can reach me directly by replying to this email or using the number below. Thank you again for contacting Mazda, Dennis, have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Kailey
Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1168
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM Pacific Time
(SR Number: 1-2420859917)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, the tear is on the seating surface - so if you are correct it should be the leather part. Mazda calls their fake leather "Leatherette". Funny how the keep coming up with new names for fake leather. Now, reading the brochure it says "leather-trimmed" so probably its the opposite - the seat is not leather and the bolsters are.

Still, I wonder if it can be repaired. Leather is probably easier to repair too :(

HI I also had many a tear on my front "leather seats" I worked in fashion leather manufacturing and this never occurred. I sent my car into Mazda to be assessed with a "no" I asked for a report for my records, was given again a no. Well, I've taken the matter further. Leather doesn't tear especially parked in shade majority of the time and we use the Mazda leather care they supplied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts