2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm sure most of us love our Mazdas, there are probably features (either stock or Factory/Dealer installed) that leave us scratching our head, thinking the car would be just fine without it... So this really is more of a - What feature came with your Mazda 3 that you could do without?

*if you want to gripe or list pet peeves, there are threads for that - please use those...*

As for me, I'd say the Dual Zone Climate Control is just about as useful as a smoking section on an airplane. I'm within arms reach of my passenger, and there is nothing to keep their temp on their side, and mine on mine...

Also not a fan of the Factory/Dealer installed cargo net. I unhooked that soon as I got the car home...

Though if the spiders from the spider thread :eek: show up, they'll move to #1 with a bullet...

·
Mazda Noob
55 Posts
Seat warmers.....they should replace those in SoCal with seat coolers/vents. That might make a bit more sense....at least they helped the 2 weeks we had colder weather....

Now if only the infotainment system worked as it was supposed to (restarted 3 times yesterday in a 15 minute drive....so basically had no infotainment for most of the drive).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Infotainment resets, 18 inch wheels that don't take potholes well, and the fact that none of the buttons on the door light up and adjusting the side mirrors in the dark isn't intuitive which you have to do because of the fact that the rear view dims but the side views don't.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The shitty plastics in the car, gets dirty easy, will get ruined quicker over time I believe, easy to scratch and so on.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Seat warmers.....they should replace those in SoCal with seat coolers/vents. That might make a bit more sense....at least they helped the 2 weeks we had colder weather....

Now if only the infotainment system worked as it was supposed to (restarted 3 times yesterday in a 15 minute drive....so basically had no infotainment for most of the drive).
Even down here in SoCal, Seat heaters are amazing on long drives. At least, for me, they are. It helps with sore muscles.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Many of the posts above seems like pet peeves or gripes of this car. My least favorite feature is the auto wipers. They seem too sensitive or something, driving in the mist they'll swipe a times when it doesn't need to be wiped.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So much for no gripes. LOL

Least favorite actual feature? Given that I don't have many of the more advanced ones of the top-end models, I don't think really have one.

I could say HD Radio. I turned it off because my fringe-y reception got even worse when it tried to tune in the station (only one I listen to around here) in HD. I'm not sure it has any problem, so this would just be an unused feature.

How about that damn bright blue cold engine light? That is a feature. Definitely not a favorite! That's a bit of a gripe though really.

I'm not sure yet but I'm guessing that in the end I will not be able to trust the flexible oil change interval. It doesn't even move, for the last couple weeks I've been checking to see when it will come down from 50%. Unless it only moves in like 25% increments it seems like something might not be right. Ah, well, I remember the odo from the first time so if it gets too far gone in miles for my taste I'll just take it back in. So many of the miles are highway though so I'm not writing off the calculation just yet. This could end up being also part gripe but really, it's not the big a deal to work with a more standard interval.

Before today I might have said voice commands but I finally tried it to blank the screen when I wasn't playing anything, worked great. So that probably won't turn out to be it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ATF being sealed for "life" or having to take out a part before being able to check ATF levels

Oil service panel is extremely tight

HVAC system air flow is not specific, for example your turn it to only blow on the bottom vents and it goes through all of them as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've only owned mine for about 3 months and just under 3000 miles, so most of these peeves/least favorites haven't been experienced yet, but I know they will...

1. Plastic clips used to secure oil change access panel and other access panels that need to be removed for maintenance & servicing. Per Murphy's law, these clips WILL eventually break and/or get lost during servicing. Doesn't matter who does the work, DIY or dealer/prof. mechanic. Said fasteners are probably only sold at Mazda dealers, so replacements will cost an arm and a leg.

2. Need to crack out the tool set just to check auto transmission fluid level. WTF is the ATF dipstick bolted down?

3. I'm a bit torn on this one... I agree with the OP that the Dual-Zone climate control is completely useless for the reasons he cites, BUT, when used in conjunction with the individual seat warmers, it does seem to have a very effective placebo effect on my girlfriend when we travel together. At least for times when she's too cold and I'm warm enough.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
So much for no gripes. LOL

Least favorite actual feature? Given that I don't have many of the more advanced ones of the top-end models, I don't think really have one.

How about that damn bright blue cold engine light? That is a feature. Definitely not a favorite! That's a bit of a gripe though really.
+1 here.

Maybe I'm a "softie," but since I have a very basic iSport hatch with very few bells and whistles (old "Audio A" setup [no touchscreen or commander knob] as well as basic silver color to boot), I'm having a hard time thinking of things on the car that I could do without. Oh, got one: the CD player which came standard on my 2014 version of the iSport trim (build date Dec. 2013).

(Plenty of things I wish it had: real engine temp gauge, low window washer fluid gauge, etc. But that's griping....)

·
Registered
146 Posts
(Plenty of things I wish it had: real engine temp gauge, low window washer fluid gauge, etc. But that's griping....)
+1 on the temp gauge, but I've never seen a car with a washer fluid gauge. My 2014 iSport has a low washer fluid light though.

But back on the topic of least favorite feature, mine is probably the TPMS. I've had it go on twice so far, and after checking the tires and finding them all at the correct pressure, having to reset the light. It would be nice if it didn't scare me with false alarms. Good old government "protecting" us. I'm capable of maintaining my tire pressures myself, thank you very much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only owned mine for about 3 months and just under 3000 miles, so most of these peeves/least favorites haven't been experienced yet, but I know they will...

1. Plastic clips used to secure oil change access panel and other access panels that need to be removed for maintenance & servicing. Per Murphy's law, these clips WILL eventually break and/or get lost during servicing. Doesn't matter who does the work, DIY or dealer/prof. mechanic. Said fasteners are probably only sold at Mazda dealers, so replacements will cost an arm and a leg.

2. Need to crack out the tool set just to check auto transmission fluid level. WTF is the ATF dipstick bolted down?

3. I'm a bit torn on this one... I agree with the OP that the Dual-Zone climate control is completely useless for the reasons he cites, BUT, when used in conjunction with the individual seat warmers, it does seem to have a very effective placebo effect on my girlfriend when we travel together. At least for times when she's too cold and I'm warm enough.
Pete, next time your girlfriend says she feels cold when you are driving, pull over, put your arms around her and give her a hug!:laugh2:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even down here in SoCal, Seat heaters are amazing on long drives. At least, for me, they are. It helps with sore muscles.
Never thought of using the Seat Warmers as a portable heating pad.. next time I take a road trip, I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't experienced the infotainment center reset on me, though after a recent fill-up, it didn't boot.. had to shut the car off and restart to get it going...

I hear y'all on the temp gauge.. thought of ways it could be much more effective - simply adding a yellow LED for "normal range" of temp.. which would give them 4 colors - Blue (Cold), Green (Low-Normal), Orange (Normal to high), and Red (dangerously high)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I hooked up an OBD reader and the Torque Android app to replace the missing temperature gauge, and it actually helped me form a theory on why many or even most modern cars are doing away with the gauge -- it moves a LOT more than it used to.

On "older" cars the gauge would pretty much stay around 12 o'clock or a little below, at least on every car I can remember having that was workign properly.

On the Mazda, the temperature varies pretty wildly, especially in traffic in warm weather. I think modern cars don't kick the fan on as early as older cars did and they realized people would be concerned seeing the temperature gauge fluctuate and so they did away with it.

I still don' tlike it, but that's my (completely otherwise uninformed) theory.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I hooked up an OBD reader and the Torque Android app to replace the missing temperature gauge, and it actually helped me form a theory on why many or even most modern cars are doing away with the gauge -- it moves a LOT more than it used to.

On "older" cars the gauge would pretty much stay around 12 o'clock or a little below, at least on every car I can remember having that was workign properly.

On the Mazda, the temperature varies pretty wildly, especially in traffic in warm weather. I think modern cars don't kick the fan on as early as older cars did and they realized people would be concerned seeing the temperature gauge fluctuate and so they did away with it.

I still don' tlike it, but that's my (completely otherwise uninformed) theory.
That's correct. I know with BMWs, the normal operating water temperature varies so much by design that the gauge meant very little. Depending on a variety of factors, the DME adjusts temperature from 80-110°C, the range considered "normal", so ever since about 15 years ago, the coolant gauge was essentially buffered so much that it was little more than an idiot light- in case of an overheat, it was programmed to go from "straight up/normal" directly to "Overheat!" with no advance warning.

So with modern cars programmed to operate with a wide variance of temperatures, there's no real need for a coolant temp. If anything, an oil temperature gauge is a better indicator.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts