2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just signed on to this forum and was wondering if it's possible to reseal the headlight assemblies on a 2010 Mazda 3 GS. I'm curious to find out if someone has actually done it on their car. I can't afford to buy new ones. It seems that whenever I take it through a car wash, they get water in them the whole assembly gets condensation and fog when the water starts to evaporate. Can anyone help?
Thanks

·
DIY PRO
1,036 Posts
yes they can be resealed, requires an oven or heat gun to heat up the sealant around the lens.
If you don't want to do it you can pay someone to do it who has some knowledge on how to do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did u recently installed HIDs or tried removing the headlight bulb? This is a common problem when you install HID bulbs (especially the cheap ones on ebay that doesn't come with bulb gaskets). Also, sometimes when you remove the factory bulbs out and put them back, these rubber gaskets move out of place which causes the moisture to get in your housing. Like mazdaspeedmyk said check if they are nice and snug.

The best way to get rid of the moisture inside is to take out the entire assembly and bake them at a low heat for 15-30 mins. I wouldn't suggest heat guns coz they tend to crack the headlights due to extreme heat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
if i was to reseal the headlights i would go all out and paint the inside housing while at it. but I assume u have a life and are not a car modifying junkie like most of us. remove headlights . . . seal with silicone. headlights never been altered I assume

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You can try lining the headlight with a bead of silicone sealant, after you've dried out the light. Also check to make sure the bulbs and bulb gaskets are making a tight seal.

I bought an aftermarket set off eBay for about $125 a lamp.
Your headlamps are aftermarket right now?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I took my wife's MZ3 SA headlight assemblies, because I like the blue trim, and put them on my MS3 and then bought her a whole new set of aftermarket ones.
What about your ms3 ones? tech package or no?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They we bake and painted, but stated to fog. I sold them for cheap to someone that was going to try and fix them.
Im trying to get ahold of either the tech package ones or a set overseas oem. They're slightly different overseas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts