2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From hackaday.com and rx8club.net:

[Pieter] is in the process of adding a turbo package to his ride. He needed a status display for the boost but didn’t have a good way to mount an additional display. He came up with the idea of using the LCD screen that’s already in the dashboard, but the specs for it were not available. Wielding his hard-earned hacking skills [Pieter] used a logic analyzer to sniff out the communications to the screen. He built a controller board that overrides the data coming in from the head unit. The board is also able to query the car’s computer for data and display it in any format you want. What he ends up with is a stock look that he can customize for his needs. Nice!
More info at the rx8club forums. Basically its a box that blocks out the OEM headunit LCD text and overrides it with whatever that can be read via the CANBUS sensors. Pretty sweet stuff. He's looking into making it available for the MS3 as well.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
I just want the MID display to be red like everything else....too bright at night have to turn it off after awhile......

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I just want the MID display to be red like everything else....too bright at night have to turn it off after awhile......
+1. Would have made it look more integrated as well. I might look into covering the screen with some red/amber film if it's easy enough to access through the dash. Although that doesn't look to be the case.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
I got close to it when I installed the Sirius module....but it looks like either the top of the dash has to lift off or the vent tunnel has to be disassembled....the center vent stack is easy to remove to get a better look at how to get to it.....just have to unplug hazard light lead......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts