2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
This has happened to me once, with the recent cold snap. I should have took a picture:argh 1: Anyway if you hear anything from mazda let us know

·
Flying M vet
41 Posts
bought the car new in november of 2010 and its started happening about 6 months in and happens a lot! Haven't asked the dealer because I seem to run the defrost a lot....I figured this is the culprit. It dims significantly at times. I'll have to mention it and see what they say, I'm at 23k now.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dont know if you guys know about this but this is a recall if you have this on your LCD display screen
Dont know the number or anything to it

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Dont know if you guys know about this but this is a recall if you have this on your LCD display screen
Dont know the number or anything to it
Mine was worse man, it is like they didn't put uv or some type of protection on the screen. Mine got really fuzzed or cloudy and they replaced it for free, and did a free multi point inspection and said nothing about my mods... lol so funny.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine dims on the left upper corner when i drive for a long time and have the heat on. But thats about it. After that happens i can turn off the car wait a little and turn the key back on and its back as its supposed to be.

·
Mazda Service Manager
89 Posts
^^ You don't even have to turn the car off. Turn the temp down a bit an after a few seconds it'll be back to normal.

I went to war with Mazda over this and since there was no middle man with me being the service advisor on the case, they heard exactly what I had to say. I had documentation and all. I took pictures and even a video of the problem with my MID fading with heat and they said "we're aware of the issue. There is an updated part." I thought, great! Problem solved! Well, after waiting almost a month for the part to come in from Denso (which is about $900 and an hour labor, so if you're out of warranty don't bother) and a few more weeks of putting my customers' cars ahead of mine, I finally got it replaced and guess what, it's still happening -_-

After talking with a few IT nerds I know, they seem to think it's just the way the screen is and no matter how many times it's replaced there will never be a real fix for it. However, I'm pretty sure Mazda can come up with a better way to insulate the unit so that heat isn't an issue. I have a feeling this could cause long-term problems down the road and I absolutely do not want to have to shell out $1000 for something that should have been fixed correctly the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought one used and I have that same crystallized screen problem. Anyone ever find out exactly what it is? I figured I could get a replacement part and install it myself, but they want $2700 for the part alone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so I figured it out in case anyone is looking to solve the issue of an LCD multi information display that is crystallizing or hazing over in a 2010 Mazda 3. I removed the display from the car by doing the following:

1. Remove the center air duct panel by prying with a plastic trim tool and pulling forward. Remove the plug for the hazards
2. Remove the side panel located between the steering wheel and the radio. It has 2 clips and come out pretty easy.
3. Remove the instrument cluster by unscrewing the 2 screws located behind the little rubber flap that fills in the gap between the top of the steering column and the gauge cluster. You can only access the screws by moving the steering wheel all the way to it's lowest point and pulled completely out. (I searched for these directions for an hour with no results, thus why I am posting this). Once the screws are removed, the cluster can be pulled out and up.
4. Remove the center piece by releasing the clips by prying them up. My center top piece had a speaker in it. Unplug the speaker. Start on the right side until you have a little play. Pull the gauge cluster up and to the left and you'll see a screw that attaches the last piece of trim that wraps around the gauge cluster. Once the screw is removed, the rest can be pried up and removed.
5. Pry the left side trim, next to the information display. The trim piece will take some force, so be careful not to break it. Don't use a metal screwdriver!!! Use plastic pry tools only. Pull it straight out towards you. It should have 3 clips.
6. Remove the 2 screws holding the display in. Undo the plugs. Drink a beer.

I searched for these directions for hours and hours online and couldn't find them anywhere. I hope this helps someone. I ended up buying a used part on Ebay for $58 shipped. A lot better than the $900 the dealership wanted for the part. Make sure your serial numbers match. My part was a BBM3 61 1J0 B and I swapped it out for one with the exact same number except it ended in H. Works perfectly fine. I took the old one apart and the following pics are of the screens covering the LCD displays. You can see here that the only thing I really needed to replace were there little plastic covers. Kinda ridiculous, but worth it in the end since I can now read my multi information displays again.

Yeah...all for some cloudy plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the top half of the screen go dim on me while it was raining heavily. It only happened once, so im not sure if the precipitation had anything o do with it, but if it happens again ill post pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello a week ago I tried to install AIO but I stayed with a buzzword I can talk through the car but on the display I see only black screen with the logo of the asy as I am with 27.00.00 / 2014. Some could help me.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts