2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with the LCD display, like starting to dull out at times?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Anyone have problems with the LCD display, like starting to dull out at times?
It acts sluggish when it is cold, but once it warms up it is fine. Kind of like using a calculator in the cold, the numbers seem to lag. I would say user your warranty and go see about it.

·
Mustang Rida'
3 Posts
I think it has more to do with precipitation on the LCD screen itself. only seems to happen when it's humid out and I have the windows up and defroster on

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i took it in for them to look at it, they told me since no one else has had this problem they cant just replace it. And of coarse when they where looking at it, it didnt have the problem lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine seems to dull when I have the defrost heat on. i'm sure that's to be expected, look at how close the screen sits next to the vent. Ever left your cell phone out sitting in the sun and looked at the screen? It dulls out also. Not sure if there is anything they can do for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have a problem with a rattle around the IPC (gauges) when it's cold out? Basically when the interior and plastic is cold enough to contract. It drives me insane, but after it warms up it goes away. Problems anyone?

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Anyone have a problem with a rattle around the IPC (gauges) when it's cold out? Basically when the interior and plastic is cold enough to contract. It drives me insane, but after it warms up it goes away. Problems anyone?
Yes, it bugs the hell outta me.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Yes, it drives me insane too! It seems to happen any time the temperature is sub-freezing.

Has anyone had this fixed at the dealer? I was planning on asking about it when I take the 3 in for inspection next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I, too, have experienced the fading LCD display. Not a huge problem in the day, pretty bad at night where you can't see the clock or any of the trip computer information without the gauges being set to the daylight coloring. When I brought in the car, even with pictures, the dealer could not replicate the issue. Is this a common problem in the 3 or pretty rare?

I also have the squeaking clutch and rotten egg smell but the dealer said both were normal.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I have recently had this issue occur but it goes away after a while. I thought It might be my alternator or something but when I looked at my other gauges and screens, they were fine. Has only happened twice so far, both this month

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, my issue used to be sporadic but now it seems that every other time I drive for over 20 minutes it happens. A beep, like the noise made when changing the radio station, used to occur but that has now ceased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
fate- Did you get any answers to the rattle around the IPC? I don't want to take my car to the dealership unless I absolutely have to. Being a mechanic at a dealership, I know the ends and outs of how they work there. I just hate working on my own car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a problem where it honestly looked like there was a black hole on mine. It was on the lower right part, took it to the dealership and they fixed it like nothing. That problem was about 9+ months ago, havn't had the same problem since.

Just take it to the dealership, see what they say

·
Registered
14 Posts
this happens to me all the time, basically, because of the black on the interior, it just gets really hot, and the pixels go out, what i do is, turn the screen off, run the AC over it through the defroster setting and itll be fine. Thats what my dealer told me, and it always works for me

·
Registered
22 Posts
this happens to me all the time, basically, because of the black on the interior, it just gets really hot, and the pixels go out, what i do is, turn the screen off, run the AC over it through the defroster setting and itll be fine. Thats what my dealer told me, and it always works for me
Thanks for the tip, that does work.

Very annoying, brand new car, but that seems to be the only problem I have... told my wife its not a consistent problem though so taking it to the dealer would be hard because Im sure I would just get the "cannot replicate problem" crap they typically give. And it doesnt look like replacing it will due any good since others have had it replaced and it seems to be just a bad design.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone figured this problem out or is it just general consensus it is caused by the defroster? Because this happened to me both on the way to and from work in about 20* weather with the heater on the 1 or 2 setting, about an hour driving and the screen will start to fade. First time I have seen this.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
It's heat related. My LCD faded and died when the summer temps were 100. Sitting in traffic the dash got hot as hell and I watched the display die. Dealer didn't give me grief, just replaced it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts