2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a used Mazda 3 2014 with the Infotainment system and have been reading these forums.
My firmware version. 70.00.100 4A N.
First question, how to I check the current map version that's installed? According to the site below the latest update is October 2019 and costs 216.50 USD for a 3 year subscription:
Second question, I understand that I can potentially get this for free or at a big discount but have unanswered qns about the process:
  • Do I need to perform a serial connection to gain root access in order to perform map updates or is that only for Android Auto?
  • Where can I download the SD card? From Ebay or Amazon? I did a search and I can only see maps being sold for US, Canada etc. Is there a link where I can buy an SD card for Australia?
  • Whats the process? Just insert SD card and just let it update? Is there a link of instructions anywhere for this?
Is there anything else I need to be aware? E.g. if I install maps unofficially is there a potential to brick the infotainment etc. Also read after 100km the SD card locks to your car and you can get free updates for 3 years ??

·
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti O
164 Posts
Hi
If you have a navigation SD card in the car, you can connect it to the MazdaToolbox and see the version of maps that is installed and whether there are map updates for you. Since the 2014 car, you may have run out of free updates. And you need to renew it to get the latest updates.

·
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti O
164 Posts
I also want to warn you. If the term of free updates has expired, the new SD card purchased on eBay or somewhere else will not help you. They will not be updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Filmi, I inserted the SD card and it said the map version installed is Q4 2012. And I have to pay approx $297 AUD for a 3 year subscription. I think this is highway robbery and don't really want to do it. So you're saying there is no other way to get these maps.. it's simply impossible given the free update period has expired..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@filmi Thank you very much for helping me upgrade my maps to the latest version, followed direction and he supported me when there were problems with the SD Card, and now all working well. Highly recommend filmi's services.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Filmi, I inserted the SD card and it said the map version installed is Q4 2012. And I have to pay approx $297 AUD for a 3 year subscription. I think this is highway robbery and don't really want to do it. So you're saying there is no other way to get these maps.. it's simply impossible given the free update period has expired..
You can buy a ONE TIME ONLY update in Toolbox, around $100.00, if your CARS FREE update has expired then it has expired, all VIN Number controlled via NNG/Mazda, they are not a charity, :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
..... Mazda, they are not a charity, :)
No, of course not. But on a car costing ~$30,000 dollars, not to give free navigation updates for the life of the car is just mean-spirited. If a car has a feature it should work until the car expires. To plan to do otherwise is pure greed on the part of the manufacturer. Can they blame us for using any ways available to get around their greed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts