2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A shout out from Toronto, Canada.

I am supposed to get my White mazda 3 Sport GTE next week. I was very excited until I read about a bunch of complaints about various issues.

1. Creaking and clicking noises when driving over bumps or gravol roads.

2. Loud noise when driving on the highway.

3. Bose system sounds like crap??!!

4. Nav system is inaccurate, annoying to use and difficult to personalize.

5. Gas mileage sucks.

6. Reliability. A few people have had their transmitions fail a bit after 100, 000 KMs. Some had to change their climate control motors and fans due to loud noise.

What has been your experience so far? Are these issues as bad as I have heard?

Today is Friday 29th, January 2010.

Tomorrow I am supposed to sign the final contract, already put a thousand dollars deposite.

Should I back out?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had mine for a little over a month now and I could not be happier with my decision. I haven't had, heard, felt, or seen any issues with the car. Gas mileage isn't terrible a lot better than the cars I have driven in the past. For the amount you pay you get a hell of a lot for this car. Then again I don't have Bose, nav or any of the tech package. If you take a look a lot of people may criticize this car but look at a lot of the major car reviewers such as Automobile and you will see they have rated this car in the Top 10 for the year 2010.

If anything the professional reviews only go so far, read the posts here from actual owners and while there may be some quirks with the car most people seem extremely happy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Had mine since july and have no creaking
Loud noise? The 2010 was redone and made much quieter than previous years. Its quiet to me
Its not that bad. Listen to it for yourself and make that determination
i dont have the nav
5. Gas mileage sucks.
It only sucks if you drive it like crap. i get 22 when i race it around town and 27+ when driving easy
6. Reliability. A few people have had their transmitions fail a bit after 100, 000 KMs. Some had to change their climate control motors and fans due to loud noise.
Been okay so far

Reactions: Ramez

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for replying guys.

I am thinking I should opt out of the GTE package. In Canada it has:

1. Nav
2. Bose
3. AFS lights
4. Keyless engine starter

Costs $2000

I would love to get the lights and Keyless engine starter alone. But no such option is possible.

A lot of people have swaped their stock stereo for after market as well as using windshield mounted Navs.

I really like the car, but I am not sure the keyless engine starter and the ASF lights are worth the Extra money. I think it would be a better invesment to put some of the that money into extra warrenty and some of it towards after market stereo system.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does that package also include the sunroof? If not I really don't think its worth it. It might not be a bad idea to shove it onto an extended warranty if your worried about longevity issues of the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does that package also include the sunroof? If not I really don't think its worth it. It might not be a bad idea to shove it onto an extended warranty if your worried about longevity issues of the car.
Hey nizzy1115 thanks for the reply.

The GTE package here in Canada just has:

1. Nav
2. Bose
3. ASF lights
4. Keyless Engine starter.

Thats it.

I am getting the Comfort package:

1. Sunroof
2. Traction Control
3. Dynamic Stability Control

I am also getting the Luxury Package:

1. Leather Interior
2. Power driver seat.

So ya, 2000 dollars for a package 50% of which is crap, doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree the comfort package and the luxury package have the best options in it. I'd probably have made my car the same if we had those options here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had mine for a little over a month now and I could not be happier with my decision. I haven't had, heard, felt, or seen any issues with the car. Gas mileage isn't terrible a lot better than the cars I have driven in the past. For the amount you pay you get a hell of a lot for this car. Then again I don't have Bose, nav or any of the tech package. If you take a look a lot of people may criticize this car but look at a lot of the major car reviewers such as Automobile and you will see they have rated this car in the Top 10 for the year 2010.

If anything the professional reviews only go so far, read the posts here from actual owners and while there may be some quirks with the car most people seem extremely happy.
Thanks for the reply, GoZoom3

I drove the car for abit and LOVED it. I have been waiting to get it since last year. This year I could actually afford it with my new job.

But when I found so many complaints I got a bit of cold feet. Glad to see you are enjoying the car, makes me feel a bit more grounded about getting it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nizzy1115

The issue is, I have not found a single car with the GTE package to test the nav and the sound system. I can not test them for myself.

But Most people on here and a few other forums, have complained about the nav and the bose.

Thanks for the input.

Tomorrow Im gonna tell my dealer I want to opt out of the GTE package.

They actually had to locate a car at sea and direct to them. I wanted all the features in a White Sport 3 which is VERY rare.

Hopefully I can opt out of the GTE package without too much trouble and this way maybe they can get me into a car sooner than the two weeks I am supposed to wait.

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
IMO, the bose is not that bad.. as long as you keep it in normal volume levels and know the limitations of your system with regards to clarity and bass..
with regards to the nav, i use it most of the time and for me, its not that spectacular compared to other navs in the market especially the built in navs but its very useful and I even have a garmin in my glove box and haven't opened it since i got my mazda. the nav has easy to read instructions and directions and doesn't give late instructions.. if you like the clean look of the dash without a nav sticking onto your windshield or something, i recommend getting it.

last thing, i love the keyless engine starter!!

whichever you choose, we know you wont get disappointed because the Mazda 3 alone is a great car to start with.. and those options is just a plus.. HTH

one more thing, i think it's better to hear for yourself if the bose is enough for you before you get it 'cause if you didn't like it or it's not enough to your liking, you'll probably end up upgrading it so opting for the non-bose is more practical..

·
Registered
987 Posts
get all of those options! i have a GT w/bose package, and i love it. it has all the options you mentioned, just not split into packages.

·
Registered
66 Posts
See all the positive comments haha. I am in the same boat kinda. I just graduated from college and as soon as I got my "career" job I had the money to buy it and not only that but its well withiin my budget and for the money I paid I got a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
get all of those options! i have a GT w/bose package, and i love it. it has all the options you mentioned, just not split into packages.
My Issue is, The GTE package is $2000 for 4 features, 2 of which according to most reviews are crap and need after market solutions.

Are the the Keyless Engine Starter, keyless entry and the ASF headlights worth $2000?

Plus, I heard its really tough to switch the deck and put an amp and a woofer if you have the bose system and the nav and wheel control don't work as they're supposed to.

·
Registered
987 Posts
bose is good. the people that say it's crap are used to WAY better speaker set-ups. i love my bose system, and have no desire to lose trunk space to a big-ass stereo system. if you're not into boomin bass, but like a full sounding system, then yes, the bose is worth it. you can do a forum search on what derrick_b did to his 3 regarding a full stereo build for more advice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A shout out from Toronto, Canada.

I am supposed to get my White mazda 3 Sport GTE next week. I was very excited until I read about a bunch of complaints about various issues.

5. Gas mileage sucks.

What has been your experience so far? Are these issues as bad as I have heard?

Today is Friday 29th, January 2010.

Tomorrow I am supposed to sign the final contract, already put a thousand dollars deposite.

Should I back out?
Just about everything you mention, you can see for yourself.

Listen to the Bose system; Try the Nav system; Drive it on the highway. These tend to be subjective issues and involve trade offs regarding price/feature.

I would not decide on a car based on a stereo - I would buy without or replace it. Road noise issues may involve buying a more expensive car that gets less mileage due to more sound deadening.

Gas mileage is dependent on how you drive. Light foot gives better mileage, heavy foot gives worse.

I have a 10 year old Protege that has only required some front break work, so Mazda has been very reliable for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 sport GT with the luxury and comfort package I wanted the GTE pack but the dealer gave me a smokin deal on this one to get it off the lot as a GTE package equiped car would of been brought in from another dealer. I looked at a speed 3 to check out the nav and the Bose and was impressed with the options. I think the people that complane about the Bose are not seeing it for what it is it is not a high SPL ear drum busting system, it is a nice clean balanced sound for daily listening if you want to rattle the windows dont buy the bose system if you like clean sound buy the bose. As for the rest of the GTE package I loved the smart key and the push button start not a day goes buy that I wish I bought the GTE packaged car.But in the end it is up too you dont get me wrong I love the car I got and no regrets in buying it.

Good luck I know it is a hard dessiosin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well I want to thank EVERYONE for their inputs. You guys have helped me a great deal.

I went to my dealer today and told him about the various complaints about the nav and sound system and he flat out said, the nav is NOT the best and the sound system is "OK" but not the best fit for the Mazda3, ESPECIALLY the sport.

So I decieded to opt out of the GTE package and got me a GT with the luxury package. I took the $2000 dollars that I would have paid for the GTE package and used them for extended warrenty and rust proofing.

6 years 120, 0000 KM Comprehenssive and Power train and lifetime rust warrenty.

I am gonna put after market deck with nav and a sound system later on.

I would have loved to get the ASF lights and Keyless entry with keyless engine start if they came in a package on their own. OH well, Next time mayabe.

This is gonna be my very FIRST Mazda.

I am VERY excited. I can't wait to get my hands on my baby. I pick it up by the end of the week.

Thanks again guys for all your support and input.

Your new Mazda brother from another mother.

Ramez

·
Registered
987 Posts
k, now you've decided...auto or stick? and are you going to mod it up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
k, now you've decided...auto or stick? and are you going to mod it up?
I wanted to get stick, Mazda3 speed was my first choice, but most of my friends and family do not drive stick so I got an auto.

You bet I will mod it, But not for a year or so. I have no money to put into that just yet. Gotta pay my student loan first :crybaby 1:

But in the next few monthes I will do the basic stuff with a new audio system and deck if I find something good I could afford.

By the way, how much performence increase would a cold air intake give?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts