2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
One thing I like about this review - the authors descriptions are quite funny, even when dissing the front end. BUt, he totally summed it up at the end: "Will it cure the flu or make Jay Leno's new show funny? No. But the Mazdaspeed3 will slap a smile on your face at least as goofy as the one on its own face." YES!

One thing that irks me - comparing the MS3 to an WRX STI. Of course the Mazda is 2 secs slower in 0-60. The STI costs over$10,000 more than the Speedy and has 305hp. Who didn't think that car would be faster? That's a poor comparison for me.

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
One thing that irks me - comparing the MS3 to an WRX STI. Of course the Mazda is 2 secs slower in 0-60. The STI costs over$10,000 more than the Speedy and has 305hp. Who didn't think that car would be faster? That's a poor comparison for me.
Maybe a poor comparison, but I wonder how many people considered the WRX or STI when making their purchase. I know the WRX (the STI was more than i wanted to spend) was a car I test drove. The WRX was nice, but the Speed3 and Mazda3 won me over with more bang for my buck. It's not such a bad comparison if they are both on your short list. very much enthusiast cars and similar demographics for the purchases. In fact while I was testing the WRX, a guy was trading in a 1month old 1400 mile Speed3 on a STI... if they'd have been reasonable on the Speed3, I'd have taken it off their hands, but they were high on it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Comparing the Speed3 to the WRX is fine - they are pretty much in the same class to me aside from the whole all wheel drive thing. But throwing an STI in the mix? Nope. Different price point and different class IMO.

·
User Interface Architect
54 Posts
Speaking of the STI being faster in the 0-60 range, does the average driver have the skill to even approach the numbers posted for either car?

My own Mazdaspeed3 has finally broke the 3k point on the odometer and I have taken it down to RMR a few times to really test it out. My best time so far from 0-60 is 6.5 seconds. My buddy who has a 1st gen MS3 gets 6.0 consecutively. I let some of the more "professional" drives at the track take a crack at it and the fastest time my car has posted is 5.9 seconds. My point being, should the average consumer even consider 0-60 stats as a viable reason to choose one car over another? I say hell no.

At the track I have beaten the following cars off the line and around the oval:

- Civic SI (No contest there)
- WRX Stock (Close)
- Lancer Evolution 10 (What the hell did they do to the Evo?!)

I've been beaten by:

- 09 Mazdaspeed3 (by a couple tenths of a second)
- STI (barely)

What does this say about the car? Absolutely nothing. I believe the experience of the driver is a way bigger factor in the performance and speed of the car.

I will say that the FWD on the MS3 is great, but the AWD and RWD cars have the edge on the corners... Or maybe I'm just not trusting my own car as much as I need to. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I keep reading about the "smiling face" like its a bad thing. Honestly I like that goofy grin. Its like my car is always happy to see me and Im always happy to see it, too. I would even say that people respond well to the smiling Speed.

Got the car on saturday and everytime someone joins me for a zoom session (GTI, Charger, SI) It starts with a look and a nod, and ends with both parties sporting a goofy grin and a thumbs up.

As much fun as this car is, it should be smiling :)

BTW just finished sub installation with LOC. Totally clean install, thinking about doing a right up, Ive got tons of pics.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
I have tried and tried and I haven't quite been able to see the front grill from the driver's seat which is absolutely the BEST place to regard this car from......that's why THIS website is my new permanent home for all things Mazda....too many 'Glen Becks' on the 'popular' Mazda boards bad-mouthing the new MZ3/MS3....sorry, kids but I owned a 1st gen and the 2010 is a light-year ahead of the 2004-2009.....

I think it's effing GREAT that we spend our time here on more positive, constructive dialog......zoom, zoom !

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Same reason I'm here most of the time and not other places. It's a grille. So what? It doesn't make the 2010 less of a car. The first nice aftermarket bumper that comes out will shut them up and they'll find something else to make them feel better about owning a lesser car. Oh well...

·
Rocket Scientist
36 Posts
I have tried and tried and I haven't quite been able to see the front grill from the driver's seat which is absolutely the BEST place to regard this car from......that's why THIS website is my new permanent home for all things Mazda....too many 'Glen Becks' on the 'popular' Mazda boards bad-mouthing the new MZ3/MS3....sorry, kids but I owned a 1st gen and the 2010 is a light-year ahead of the 2004-2009.....

I think it's effing GREAT that we spend our time here on more positive, constructive dialog......zoom, zoom !
I agree with twowings 100%, except I had a protege, not a 1st gen 3.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No one but an owner really appreciates the gril... they're all haters.
Same reason I'm here most of the time and not other places. It's a grille. So what? It doesn't make the 2010 less of a car. The first nice aftermarket bumper that comes out will shut them up and they'll find something else to make them feel better about owning a lesser car. Oh well...
I am also in the same camp as loving the goofy grin. As they say, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
AMEN!!! Very good points that Mazda owners know, and haters can't seem to get past!

·
1,272 Posts
I'm with all of you guys, too. I'll admit that I didn't love the grill when I bought the car (I didn't hate it either), but now that I have had the car for awhile I really like the front end. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, I would take the Speed3 grill insert, but that's beside the point, lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
wow this article is hard on the grille... but other than that... i really agree with Vater that the black hides the grille A LOT. honestly the grille doesnt bother me at all. i appreciate what this car can put out on the road :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts