2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fine fellows of M3R!

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 sedan 2.0. Shocks were shot, so bought myself some Koni yellows and had them fitted at the dealership.

I find it's slightly bouncing. Not blown shock bouncy that it doesn't stabilize, but going over a rough road, the car feels like it bounces very high over bumps/troughs and then stabilizes immediately.

Could this possibly be because I was supplied with the MPS/Mazdaspeed shocks? I double checked after a 1000km trip and saw that they're not the standard Mazda 3 model.

Would stiffer springs sort this out? Sounds like a good excuse to give her a little drop :cheesy:

Thanks

·
Just Having Fun
232 Posts
Hey fine fellows of M3R!

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 sedan 2.0. Shocks were shot, so bought myself some Koni yellows and had them fitted at the dealership.

I find it's slightly bouncing. Not blown shock bouncy that it doesn't stabilize, but going over a rough road, the car feels like it bounces very high over bumps/troughs and then stabilizes immediately.

Could this possibly be because I was supplied with the MPS/Mazdaspeed shocks? I double checked after a 1000km trip and saw that they're not the standard Mazda 3 model.

Would stiffer springs sort this out? Sounds like a good excuse to give her a little drop :cheesy:

Thanks
Haha a drop is always good :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'll start by saying I have no idea if this is true or not..but I think you can put speed3 springs on a mazda 3, I have never heard of KONIs for a speed3 on a mazda 3. That might be the issue but I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If Koni is like Bilstein ( which it probably is) the MS3 and MZ3 shocks/struts are the same and have the same part #'s. What you are feeling is probably completely normal. The Koni's have more aggressive compression/rebound than oem so you are going to feel irregularities in the road more. I think you are getting this confused with the word "bouncy." Bouncy would mean you have less rebound damping, and with the Koni's you certainly have more than with worn out oem shocks/struts. You can try fiddling with the knobs on the Koni's to get a ride that is more desirable to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies folks.

The MS3 springs have a higher spring AND load rate, so they actually end up raising the suspension on a normal 3.

Koni is not like Bilstein, and the part numbers are different. If I remember correctly, the 1490s which I have, have around a 20% higher dampening rate (on the rebound if i understand correct) than the 1487s which are for the standard Mazda.

Bouncy isn't the correct word, it's not springy, but it's almost like it overreacts (much like a woman) to bumps on the road - it ends up feeling like it hops after each bump, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Might be worth trying to fiddle with the adjustors, they're set to full soft already though.

Anyone got the standard yellows on the stock springs? What's it like when you stiffen it up on bad roads?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.