2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Should be just as good if not better than the FSD (had them, traded car). These are also designed with lowering springs in mind unlike the FSD so another plus. They also didn't raise the price.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,340 Posts
The FSD's are awesome.

These must be really good if they replaced the FSDs with them.
CK

·
Registered
321 Posts
They seem to be adjustable, unlike the FSD. If they actually replace the FSD then i think the softest setting (default) will be the same as FSD while stiffer settings are for lower/performing springs. I am very currious now because i really like the FSD with RB spings.

Dont see them on tirerack or any other sites except koni.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice to know.

I have about 85k and i am thinking of upgrading the suspension on my 2014 3. Not looking to lower, just upgrade/replace. will probably do after my 100k service.

·
Miami Vice Swagger
59 Posts
I'm in a place right now where I can, but can't wait to upgrade my struts/lower my car. Nice to know these are available. I might be seen going after potholes now instead of avoiding them, lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why? They are horrible in comparison.
Please don't state opinions as fact.

I write FSD in place of koni special active strut below for ease of writing.

If you are going for OEM ride quality on OEM springs yes FSD is better than yellows.

FSD are designed for OEM springs but capable of working with MILD lowering springs. Yellows are designed to work with lowering springs.

My guess based on your post is that you think yellows ride too hard. In this price point you are not going to get rolls royce ride with porsche handling. When price is a factor everything is a compromise.

In the case of wanting a small, ~1 inch, drop and being as close as possible to OEM ride quality then FSD might be a better choice.

In the case of lowering and wanting more composed handling then yellows might be the best choice.

My opinion is the trade off in ride comfort with yellows is not much and acceptable, so that's what I'd go for.

A blanket statement of "yellows are horrible compared to FSD" is not accurate.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Please don't state opinions as fact.

I write FSD in place of koni special active strut below for ease of writing.

If you are going for OEM ride quality on OEM springs yes FSD is better than yellows.

FSD are designed for OEM springs but capable of working with MILD lowering springs. Yellows are designed to work with lowering springs.

My guess based on your post is that you think yellows ride too hard. In this price point you are not going to get rolls royce ride with porsche handling. When price is a factor everything is a compromise.

In the case of wanting a small, ~1 inch, drop and being as close as possible to OEM ride quality then FSD might be a better choice.

In the case of lowering and wanting more composed handling then yellows might be the best choice.

My opinion is the trade off in ride comfort with yellows is not much and acceptable, so that's what I'd go for.

A blanket statement of "yellows are horrible compared to FSD" is not accurate.
If you like a car that rides like a old pickup by all means use the Yellows, but you better have the proper spring rates to match the dampening rates. Unless you intend to track the car, the poor ride quality of the yellows is unnecessary given the other options available. A stiff ride does not equate to "good handling".
The statement "FSD are designed for OEM springs but capable of working with MILD lowering springs" is inaccurate. I have had H&R springs with FSDs (-1" F and -1.75" R) on my car for quite some time now with zero issues. They seem to be a good match as the car handles and rides very well. Going too much lower than that you will start to run into other issues and the car won't handle well no matter what sort of shocks or springs you have.
That being said, and as the intent of this thread is feedback on the new version of the FSD, Koni yellows are not a viable substitute and ride horribly in comparison.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is your personal opinion.

What do you tell the civic owners that think the Mazda 3 rides like a truck?

These are subjective things that you are stating as facts.

Yes a stiff ride does not equal good handling. I have had Megans and other cheap junk before.

It depends how the owner drives their car. Because you had FSD on springs with "zero issues" is a good data point but does not mean a lot. I'm sure you have seen in forums of this car and others. People put springs on their cars. 1 guy says wow 50,000 miles no issues and the next guy says 5,000 miles I got blown struts.

My issue is not with your experience and opinion. It is that you are stating things as absolutes, when they are not. This thread was started for feedback on the new FSD strut "opinions and experience".

I never said "Yellows are better than FSD", I said "I would get Yellows if I was lowering my car"

OP didn't state what are his goals with his cars or any other relevant info. In fact I don't see he posted in this thread after the OP. So I posted my opinion, because that is what was asked.

·
*The Electrician*
900 Posts
now now ladies, go back to your respective corners and iron out those bunched up panties. No need to snip at each other, you both agree to disagree that your both right and both wrong. Ok? Ok?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had Yellows and now have FSDs. I second your opinion.
And I posted mine. End of story.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts