2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i've finally decided to not go with my original plan of setting up my 2010 3 i-tourning sedan for auto cross and making it more show and just getting an old mx-5 for auto cross. anyways i still wanna go with the 1.75 drop but insted of getting koni yellows i thinki might go with the koni orange struts since i really cant think of why i would need the adjustable yellows since im not gonna be running autocross. id love to go with coil overs but im trying to keep the cost down plus im not looking to slam it on its nuts just wanna do away with the wheel gap and get a nice look. ive seen posts of people using the 1.25 spring with these struts but what does everyone think about using them with the 1.75 springs.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
ok so i've finally decided to not go with my original plan of setting up my 2010 3 i-tourning sedan for auto cross and making it more show and just getting an old mx-5 for auto cross. anyways i still wanna go with the 1.75 drop but insted of getting koni yellows i thinki might go with the koni orange struts since i really cant think of why i would need the adjustable yellows since im not gonna be running autocross. id love to go with coil overs but im trying to keep the cost down plus im not looking to slam it on its nuts just wanna do away with the wheel gap and get a nice look. ive seen posts of people using the 1.25 spring with these struts but what does everyone think about using them with the 1.75 springs.
I'd look into STR.T for koni, the red ones they are better/compliment better for lowering springs and don't have adjustablility like the yellows and are better than the oranges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look into STR.T for koni, the red ones they are better/compliment better for lowering springs and don't have adjustablility like the yellows and are better than the oranges.

koni's website only lists the STR.T oranges and yellows for my 3 no reds lol

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the oranges, but was also looking at them for one day when I replace my stocks. Besides the adjustability, which I wouldn't use either, is there a difference?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sent them a few questions. I'll post the results once I get them.

Awesome i think the adjustments are the only real difference cause i believe koni says that they have the same internals in oranges and yellows and both can handle lowering springs. But i dont know if the oranges can handle the 1.75 drop. It will be nice to see what koni says.

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
They emailed me back pretty quick. Basically the orange works well, still the lifetime warranty, but works best with springs >1.57in. The yellows, as we all know, are more of a track/sporty application and "valved more agressively", while something for street "entry use" (some daily driving) orange would be your best bet.

Basically you could run it with the 1.75's but it's probably better not to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They emailed me back pretty quick. Basically the orange works well, still the lifetime warranty, but works best with springs >1.57in. The yellows, as we all know, are more of a track/sporty application and "valved more agressively", while something for street "entry use" (some daily driving) orange would be your best bet.

Basically you could run it with the 1.75's but it's probably better not to.

Did they happen to say what would happen if you ran more than 1.57 springs?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Did they happen to say what would happen if you ran more than 1.57 springs?
Nothing will happen, you won't have the "best" ride quality but I'm sure they will be perfectly fine for track/street use anyways. They will work and other people I have seen run 1.75+ lowering springs on them and they say they ride nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing will happen, you won't have the "best" ride quality but I'm sure they will be perfectly fine for track/street use anyways. They will work and other people I have seen run 1.75+ lowering springs on them and they say they ride nice.
Yeah thats what i figured i just wanna make sure they aren't gonna prematurely start leaking or blow out. Although they have a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
165 Posts
After reading this, this is probably what I'm going to do down the road.
1.75 and oranges
Thanks for the info!:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts