2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have a 2017 3GT 5-Door and I want to upgrade the suspension to Koni FSD shocks, and I would like to upgrade the springs as well, but I do NOT want to lower the car. The FSD page says that it is designed to run with the stock springs and does NOT lower the car. That is perfect, however, I would like a stiffer or possibly progressive spring set for the car that does NOT result in loss of ground clearance. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!!

Regards,

~Ex

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mate. Those seem like a fairly decent option, and if I can't find anything stock height, those may be my top contenders (least amount of drop).

Regards,

~Ex

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Yup, Racing beats are the only ones I know that have the least amount of drop.

Reactions: alextheGOAT

·
Registered
899 Posts
I am going to the racing beat springs for a higher ride height. The link above offers racing beat springs slightly cheaper.
They are progressive like the stock springs. From all my looking they seem to be the smallest amount of drop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
From my experience with both Prokit (progressive, on my 2010) and RB (linear, on my 2017), the Prokit will give you stock like ride while the RB is very noticeable firmer. I had same concerns with FSD being paired with lower springs but Koni confirmed it's ok with slightly lower springs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had same concerns with FSD being paired with lower springs but Koni confirmed it's ok with slightly lower springs.
This is an interesting response, as far I have read and personally checked, KONI do not recommend installing FSD's with "lowering springs". Other members have reported the same answer as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am 95% sure that it FSD was designed solely for stock springs. They probably dont see much harm done with mild low springs and their response was just for marketting. Anyway, here is their response, very informative.

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. Yes, the FSD dampers will be firmer for better control in low frequency large body motions, as compared to the OE dampers. (Softer in high/sharp impact movements). The FSD dampers improve ride performance, handling and ride quality by applying proper damper based on shock input, and piston velocity. Low frequency equal higher damping force, high frequency equals lower damping force. The FSD can be used with a mild lowering spring so long as you are not allowing for contact with the bumpstops to be made regularly. Constant bump stop contact will be seen as high/sharp impacts by the FSD, thus resulting is softer damping when more is likely needed.

KONI NA | FSD Technology

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am 100% sure they work just fine with non-OEM springs with moderate lowering.

A year and a half with no issues so far. Still fine.
Yeah, i am pretty sure the combination is not going to break anything...lol. The question is if they work togethet as intended by Koni, as mentioned in their response. I guess us consummers will never know for sure, but in my case, i like FSD+RB much better than FSD+stock.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
I am 95% sure that it FSD was designed solely for stock springs.
I am 100% sure they work just fine with non-OEM springs with moderate lowering.

A year and a half with no issues so far. Still fine.
This. 18 months in on my FSDs and Eibachs and no a single issue and vehicle still rides as good as the day I installed them

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would the Bilstein B6 (stock height) be comparable to the FSDs? Hard to find reviews comparing the two, here, or eslewhere. Thoughts?

Regards,

~Ex

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had Bilstein HD (i think it's the same as B6) before i loved them, very high quality products. I actually considered them for my 3 too but reading the reviews from the raving fans and the price difference, i decided to go with FSD and i am glad i did. If i have to guess, the B6 will be at least as firm as FSD during low frequency motion, but without the forgivingness on broken roads (high frequency). It wont be too harsh either with stock springs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had Bilstein HD (i think it's the same as B6) before i loved them, very high quality products. I actually considered them for my 3 too but reading the reviews from the raving fans and the price difference, i decided to go with FSD and i am glad i did. If i have to guess, the B6 will be at least as firm as FSD during low frequency motion, but without the forgivingness on broken roads (high frequency). It wont be too harsh either with stock springs.
Which springs did you go with? How was the ride quality and amount of drop?

·
Registered
325 Posts
If your question is about the Bilstein, It was not a Mazda 3, but a truck with stock springs (was still like brand new). I think Bilstein design HD to be firmer than any stock. You will notice the minute the car drives down the street but never too rough. The B8, which i never tried, is supposed to be firmer.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
I have the Koni FSD dampers and H&R Springs.

I just drove about 30 miles through twisty mountain roads and my 17 mos. old son slept the whole time.

That's how good the setup is.

My wife doesn't even complain and she NEVER misses a chance to give me crap.
CK

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am going to the racing beat springs for a higher ride height. The link above offers racing beat springs slightly cheaper.
They are progressive like the stock springs. From all my looking they seem to be the smallest amount of drop.
Neither are progressive. Both have a linear spring rate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts