2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm living in Europe and heading back to the US soon. I have a 2000 Miata that's getting old and I'd like a 2nd new (er?) car that I can use if the Miata is down for maintenance.

The 3 is a car I'm considering, and I was wondering if there are any known issues? From what I'm reading there's a ticking issue in the dash/front end area. Anything else?

Thanks!

Rich

·
Registered
353 Posts
We have both a 3 sGT and a Miata GT.

One of the reasons I went with the new 3 is there appear to be almost no issues. A friend of mine has had 3 and only ever took the to non dealer shops for routine maintenance. It's rated well by Consumer Reports. That's one of the big things in their ratings: reliability and not needing many non-routine repairs.

Nothing so far on the 3 needing attention. The automatic settings on both the wipers and the lights sometimes don't work right but don't need repair.

Like any modern, aerodynamic car, you cannot tell where the front corners of the car are, as opposed to a 1983 Benz we had for 25 years that we could see all 4 corners from the driver's seat. Both my wife and I have bashed rocker panels on the Jetta we had because of this problem, and my wife just recently scraped the rocker panel underneath the right rear passenger door because of this. Not much different on the Miata.

Ralph

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you read through this forum you'll find the typical assortment of problems that you'd find with any new car. Most problems aren't serious, falling into the dash-tick category.

I think the Mazda is about as problem-free as you'll find anywhere.

My 2015 hasn't been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot 22,000 miles ago. I don't even have a dash tick. I like it that way.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I used to live on the Subaru forums. Subarus are known for reliability, but there are much less significant issues posted over here for the 2014+ mazda 3 than I saw for even newer Foresters. As far as the skyactiv engines go, no oil consumption issues, no head gasket issues. I'm fairly convinced it will be a reliable engine well beyond 100K judging from the lack of major problems reported here. Of course i've had no problems in the 10k miles i've owned mine.

I may have heard a dash tick once or twice, but since then i it either went away or i never hear it.

As a bonus, i did my own oil change on this car for the first time last week (dealer did first one) - seems like they actually thought about how to NOT make it a pain in the [email protected]@. Access cover is easy to deal with, and oil filter has plenty of clearance to easily unscrew an overtightened filter by hand. Little stuff like that endears me even more to the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts