2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knightiac's Black Knight Build w/ Updates

Started a little late so I'll try my best to catch up. I bought my '12 Mazda 3 S Touring 2.5 February 16th 2013. Brand new off the lot. Don't plan on doing many performance upgrades, but probably will eventually.

The very next weekend I got some tint put on. Llumar high quality, exact name escapes me. 30% two front doors and 15% on the rest of the back.

First major wash.

Week later I put on OEM window visors. (much better pics to come)

Today, I gave it another good wash, then partially debadged it. Took off the 3 and the 2.5. May relocate one of them to the dash, haven't decided yet.

Valve caps finally came in today, so I checked the air in my tires and installed them if you can call it that lol. Pretty damn good build quality for $6 shipped from China.

Better shots of my 3 and the window visors...

Onto the next task... Door sills. I'll preface this by saying you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap Chinese set from Amazon, for around $15 shipped to my door about a month later. They came in smelling of moth balls, with Chinese fingerprints all over them, and smudges galore. The icing on the awful cake, they were hollow. What you see in my pictures, is all the metal they sent, just a shell. After scrubbing them with simple green, the smell and smudges were gone. I then filled the inside with exterior grade silicone, to add strength and keep water from collecting underneath them. Cleaned, coated and polished them once again and the rest is pretty self explanatory. Didn't take step by step pics.

The blue tape is just to protect the paint and I've got packaging tape holding it in place, until the silicone sets. I'll probably let it sit a day or so just to be safe.

Finished.

Just installed a drop in K&N air filter. Considered taking pics but it's so simple I decided not to. I'm gonna be honest, after installing it, I think it really did add just a little pep and made it a tad louder. Maybe it's a placebo effect but that was the way I felt after driving it for ten minutes. Only time will tell.

Removed the Mazdaspeed decals on the windows.

Ordered some interior LEDs; they were supposed to arrive today which would have been perfect since I was planning on washing it but you know how USPS is...

Washed it anyways.

Then added some decals to the rims. Rice or not, I think they look pretty clean. They're the $8 Mazdaspeed decals from Ebay. Arrived two days after purchase and they're pretty good quality. Put one on each rim, and they're somewhat hidden being that they're on the side. I like them where they are, not so much in your face.

Got my interior LEDs yesterday, installed them today. Skipped the glove box for now.

Before

After

Before

After

Installed my pedals!

Next up, black calipers!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, it's funny you mention that. They were something I bought when I was just overly excited. Mistake now, I admit. I will probably take them off soon. I want to go with a different look. I'm either going to get new rims or do a powdercoat soon. Regardless, I'm stuck between a bronze, graphite, black or gold rim color. Excited to say that I've almost saved enough to feel comfortable doing it. Don't want to spend all my money.

And thanks for the comment about the house. I'm 21 and live with my parents. My dad is very detail oriented, so he keeps up the yard and house as best as possible. He'd like to hear that, lol.

·
1,577 Posts
Tell your dad great job. Nice to see people taking pride in their grass, no oil stains in driveway.
Clean garage

Go with gold wheels

You seem like a cool kid. Welcome change around here

Two thumbs up

·
Registered
73 Posts
looking great so far. cant wait to see what comes next.
oh, and ricey or not, just do what you like, i have way ricier things lol
but anyways i like bronze.. but bronze is so broad of a choice it depends how it looks. ive seen some bronze that looks really good, and ive seen some bronze that look brown, and even a flat looking gold. but its all preference. gold would look nice too

·
1,577 Posts
looking great so far. cant wait to see what comes next.
oh, and ricey or not, just do what you like, i have way ricier things lol
but anyways i like bronze.. but bronze is so broad of a choice it depends how it looks. ive seen some bronze that looks really good, and ive seen some bronze that look brown, and even a flat looking gold. but its all preference. gold would look nice too
A self described ricer fob? Oh the irony

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright so I'm thinking matte purple rims with gloss gold calipers. That would look pretty interesting actually...

On a more serious note, im thinking a gold powdercoat with black calipers. Probably matte gold and gloss black. Buddy knows a guy. He did his rims and they look pretty good IMO, so I'm gonna check out his place soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, onto today's task...

And then the next task... Door sills. I'll preface this by saying you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap Chinese set from Amazon, for around $15 shipped to my door about a month later. They came in smelling of moth balls, with Chinese fingerprints all over them, and smudges galore. The icing on the awful cake, they were hollow. What you see in my pictures, is all the metal they sent, just a shell. After scrubbing them with simple green, the smell and smudges were gone. I then filled the inside with exterior grade silicone, to add strength and keep water from collecting underneath them. Cleaned, coated and polished them once again and the rest is pretty self explanatory. Didn't take step by step pics.

The blue tape is just to protect the paint and I've got packaging tape holding it in place, until the silicone sets. I'll probably let it sit a day or so just to be safe. I'll get finished pictures when it is all taken off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, onto today's task...

And then the next task... Door sills. I'll preface this by saying you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap Chinese set from Amazon, for around $15 shipped to my door about a month later. They came in smelling of moth balls, with Chinese fingerprints all over them, and smudges galore. The icing on the awful cake, they were hollow. What you see in my pictures, is all the metal they sent, just a shell. After scrubbing them with simple green, the smell and smudges were gone. I then filled the inside with exterior grade silicone, to add strength and keep water from collecting underneath them. Cleaned, coated and polished them once again and the rest is pretty self explanatory. Didn't take step by step pics.

The blue tape is just to protect the paint and I've got packaging tape holding it in place, until the silicone sets. I'll probably let it sit a day or so just to be safe. I'll get finished pictures when it is all taken off.

Looks good, might get some myself.. But from US, just so I don't go through the mild headache you went through

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah Id recommend buying some of better quality. These look very nice but it took a lot of work.

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts
I bought those same sils but didnt do all that and the back ones have fallen off twice, even with 3 layers of 3m tape and the front drivers side one had the black plastic trim break in the middle and peel away.

I will be getting nicer ones eventually but for now the car is naked.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, as you can see I didn't even bother with the back ones. The POS weren't even molded correctly. I received mine as one straight piece and the only proper way it'd fit my 3 is if they were angled, so I left those alone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts