2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel Tank Overfilling

Has anybody else had issues with the gas tank going too full and the pump not shutting off in time? I got gas tonight and once the pump clicked off, I noticed gasoline dribbling down the side of the car and onto the concrete. I checked the nozzle, thinking it hadn't shut off or was leaking but upon removing the nozzle it became clear that the source of the gas was my car. I turned on my phone's flashlight and the gasoline was at the very top of the filler neck and almost appeared to be bubbling up like some twisted version of a gasoline spring. I quickly started the engine to try to burn off enough to keep it from ruining my paint.

Needless to say I'm not happy about this. It seems I'm cursed and unable to go more than two months without car problems. Has anybody seen anything like a kinked or blocked fuel filler hose that might cause something like this? I'm also noticing that even when the gauge says the tank is empty (0 miles range), it will only take 10.8 gallons into a 13.2 gallon tank.

Edit: It should be mentioned that I've been using this pump at this station for the better part of a decade over my last four cars and this is the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm also noticing that even when the gauge says the tank is empty (0 miles range), it will only take 10.8 gallons into a 13.2 gallon tank.
I noticed this too with my Mazda3. This is normal. Every car I've owned has at least a couple gallons in the tank even though the gas gauge reads near empty. I think this is to help prevent people from running the tank completely empty (dry). I read somewhere that doing so may cause damage to the fuel pump and/or injectors.

It should be mentioned that I've been using this pump at this station for the better part of a decade over my last four cars and this is the first time this has happened.
I've personally never experienced anything like what you described in any of the cars I've owned. I would try a different pump to see if the same thing happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts