2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I saw this article on yahoo today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/12/07/car-theft-remote-entry-national-insurance-crime-bureau/95085746/

it states that there is a device readily available that can clone your key fob's codes and allow anyone with said device to potentially not only gain access to your car at will but also start it and drive off. I know that anything wireless or on a network etc is potentially vulnerable and car entry systems are no exception, however most keyless entry systems like the regular keyless and intelligent key fobs are very highly encrypted between car and remote and they also "code hop" like garage door openers but on a much more sophisticated level. I would be more worried on trims with the intelligent key and push button start, as after entry if this device bypasses the starter interlock system we have then you start the car and off they go! and our cars also being 3-6 years old the technology has now fallen outdated and they are also not top of the line bmw's but not to say that the intelligent key is vulnerable because of that or that the system is bad, I rather like my intelligent key system. just that the cars original msrp and age now could make us more vulnerable to this, be vigilant! thieves have been able to make devices to break the codes on your keyless remotes for awhile now, they were just usually piecemeal devices though that a single group or criminal built themselves out of commonly available PC components, this device looks to be manufactured by a legit company, but in the wrong hands it can do harm like many things. the article also states in the tests they did it was only about 50% effective at entry but almost every entry allowed the vehicle to start so that's is alarming. even at 50% effective itcan do damage!

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
The tech for "rippers" or "scanners" has been around for a while. This should just encourage people to not keep their valuables inside of their vehicles and be aware of their surroundings. The dark side of tech advancement.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, that's why I said above, the tech has been around for awhile this is just a product that maybe on some store's shelf somewhere soon, most of the devices until recently have been one offs made by a criminal organization or just a tech savvy criminal with access to a Fry's electronics. I posted this so the less "tech savvy" users on here and the users that may do as you said and leave valuables out in the open or just plain don't lock the car are more informed. Hell I wonder how many users on here have the push button start and intelligent key and forget their keys in the cup holder or somewhere at least once a week. I worried about that when I got mine as I never had a car with that kind of tech before, but I easily solved that by just not taking my keys out of my pocket unless I am working on the car in my garage/driveway and need the car running for some reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts