2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand how this even happened. I have a 2016 iSport. Started the car to warm it up this morning, shut the door, heard the locks... So, the car continued running with the FOB inside and the doors would not open. Had to wait an hour outside in 12 degree F snow for a tow driver to pop open the door. Is something malfunctioning? My previous car was a Prius and it wouldn't let you lock the doors with the FOB inside even if you had the physical key.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't understand how this even happened. I have a 2016 iSport. Started the car to warm it up this morning, shut the door, heard the locks... So, the car continued running with the FOB inside and the doors would not open. Had to wait an hour outside in 12 degree F snow for a tow driver to pop open the door. Is something malfunctioning? My previous car was a Prius and it wouldn't let you lock the doors with the FOB inside even if you had the physical key.
It happen to me once. Good thing I had the trunk opened.. so I had to climb in from the trunk. I accidentally pressed lock and then close the door with the fob still inside.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
My handbook says this:

If the key is left in the following areas and you leave the vehicle, the doors may be locked depending on the radio wave conditions even if the key is left in the vehicle.

• Around the instrument panel
  • In the storage compartments such as the glove compartment or the centre console
  • On the rear parcel shelf (saloon)
  • Next to a communication device such as a mobile phone

I wonder if you left your key in one on the above areas and accidentally pressed the lock button when you left the car? I always keep the key in my left pocket. Where was your spare key which could have been used to open the door?

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
I have a '15 3 and if I leave the FOB in the car without it running, it won't let me lock the door. If the car IS running, it WILL let me lock the door with the FOB in the car. My seats have sensors that tell the car when there are riders in the car, for seat belts and airbags. Why doesn't the sensor also tell the car not to lock the door, if no one is sitting in the seat???? Like sc489 said, it is possible you pressed the lock button when getting out of the car, which is why I keep a spare key hidden on my car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a '15 3 and if I leave the FOB in the car without it running, it won't let me lock the door. If the car IS running, it WILL let me lock the door with the FOB in the car. My seats have sensors that tell the car when there are riders in the car, for seat belts and airbags. Why doesn't the sensor also tell the car not to lock the door, if no one is sitting in the seat???? Like sc489 said, it is possible you pressed the lock button when getting out of the car, which is why I keep a spare key hidden on my car.
I have a '15 as well. My car beeps if I have it running and close the door, wheather I have left the keys inside or not. I CANNOT lock the doors with the keys inside. I have tried, it just beeps at me again.
To the OP, that sucks. The only time I ever locked the keys in a car was a rental a few years back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a small button next to the front door handles that can be used to lock/unlock the car - if the key is in my pocket. I haven't tried it if the key were in the car - fearing it might not unlock. Does a 2016 have that button or was it introduced later? I have a 2017 Touring 4 door.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a small button next to the front door handles that can be used to lock/unlock the car - if the key is in my pocket. I haven't tried it if the key were in the car - fearing it might not unlock. Does a 2016 have that button or was it introduced later? I have a 2017 Touring 4 door.
I have that button on the door handle.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Thats part of the optional advanced keyless entry system, not all cars have it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a '15 as well. My car beeps if I have it running and close the door, wheather I have left the keys inside or not. I CANNOT lock the doors with the keys inside. I have tried, it just beeps at me again.
To the OP, that sucks. The only time I ever locked the keys in a car was a rental a few years back.
Mine works the same way. Thinking something isn't right here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts