2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Found this on another Mazda forum. Felt compelled to share. Discuss.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
this is nothing new. the tech to randomise encrypted codes and thefts like this has been around for years! it's only recently that it came into the spotlight around the world..

if a car's ECU can be hacked into and the user can control anything from the acceleration to the radio and AC, this is considered child's play. unfortunately, as the tech gets better, our security seems to be on the down..

·
Registered
689 Posts
Beware most of those RF pouches fail after a few months since wear & tear allows RF leakage from the pouch. I've found the best solution is to use a screw top metal tin.

·
Registered
510 Posts
different systems work differently with the frequencies and how the generate codes.. i was recently watching shmee150 cover this topic on one of his videos. it's worth a watch since they tried the relay attacks on a few different brands of cars.. also check this website out that was mention in the video: https://keylessprotector.com/

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sadly old news, but what is worse from my research and understanding it is a fairly easy fix for manufactures where they can code it so the fob must physically be within a few feet of the car to communicate without being able to amp up the signal from afar. It seems that even a simple firmware update would fix existing models.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's like these Teslas that occasionally catch fire and people seem to forget that gas powered cars go up everyday and it's not newsworthy. Cars have been stolen since the beginning of cars but only now that there are keyless systems is it suddenly a big deal or a "new" thing.

Remember the old mantra: If they want it badly enough, they'll get it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is there a way to disable keyless auto unlock and only unlock using the FOB buttons.
You could figure out where the antennas are and disconnect them. FWIW that is how the base model worked when I bought my 2015, but that ends up with the worst system of all. You need to get your keys out of your pocket but you have no place to put them once you are in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts