2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 iGT with advanced keyless entry, and reading the manual, I don't really understand the point of the key suspend function.

Per the manual, it's ostensibly supposed to prevent theft by suspending a key left in the vehicle from starting the car. However, just below that, it says that the key's functions can be restored by pressing a button on it. So basically, if you leave your key in the car, and lock it with the auxiliary key, a thief can just smash a window, get in, find the key, press a button on the key, and start the car. So what's the point?

I also haven't even figured out a scenario in which a key is suspended. Has anyone seen this work?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the function is just there to make it harder on a potential thief. I've had my key fob fall out of my pocket a couple times and fall under my seat. So key suspend would stop that key from starting the car if I were to not notice the key fell out and walked away from the car leaving the key under my seat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The manual says to restore the function, you have to have another functioning key present, which make total sense to me.:001_unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Except what it says is:

To restore these functions, perform any
one of the following:
-Press a button on the key which has had
its functions temporarily suspended.

So if a key is suspended to prevent a thief from using it, all the thief has to do is press a button and it works again? Again, seems pointless.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Except what it says is:

To restore these functions, perform any
one of the following:
-Press a button on the key which has had
its functions temporarily suspended.

So if a key is suspended to prevent a thief from using it, all the thief has to do is press a button and it works again? Again, seems pointless.
Maybe I misunderstood the manual. I thought the line you quoted is just the first step NOT the only step.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think it's more for preventing someone from walking up to the car and unlocking it if you leave the key inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts