2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Mazda 3 is the first Mazda to have a preventative theft of car by thieves using a known 'RELAY SYSTEM' which usually involves more than one person 'relaying' your vehicle access codes to unlock and start your car using your Key Transmitter Codes along with other small hardware devices used to steal.
Owner usually has no idea that their car has been stolen until they return to use it.

STOP ‘KEY RELAY’ THEFT OF MOTOR CAR and KEY TRANSMITTER POWER SAVING FUNCTION.
2019~ Mazda 3 vehicles equipped with Advanced Key-less Entry and
Next generation Mazda’s with same Advance Key-less Entry Systems (AKE).
Car must be equipped with original AKE system.

Key Transmitter Power Saving Function:
When the key transmitter Power Saving Function is turned ON, transmitter battery power consumption is restricted, thereby extending the transmitter battery life and also prevents car Relay Theft.

IMPORTANT:
Be aware of the following points.....
  • Turning the key transmitter Power Saving Function ON turns the Advanced Key-less Entry and push button start system functions OFF.
  • The engine will not start if the key transmitter Power Saving Function is turned ON.
The key transmitter control functions (i.e. locking/unlocking door, etc.) are operational when pressing the transmitter switches, even while the key power saving function is turned ON.

However, the transmitter indicator light does not turn on or flash.

Refer to the Owner’s Manual "Power Saving Function [Keys]" or how to turn the power saving function ON and OFF.

The key power saving function is effective against Key 'Relay Attacks'. A relay attack is when the signal (radio waves) emitted between the key transmitter and the vehicle is interrupted and hacked, which results in the theft of the targeted vehicle.

Example:
1. Thief (A) sends a signal to the vehicle, impersonating a key transmitter.
2. The vehicle replies with a request for authentication.
3. This signal is transmitted to the thief (B) who is near the real key transmitter (i.e. in a restaurant or mall, etc.).
4. Thief (B) relays this signal to the vehicle owner's (C) key transmitter.
5. The vehicle owner's (C) key transmitter replies with its credentials.
6. Thief (B) relays the authentication signal back to thief (A), who uses it to unlock the vehicle and steals it.

Stopping the radio waves emitted from key transmitter is essential in preventing a Key Relay Attack.
The two ways to stop the radio waves from being emitted are:

1. Turning the key transmitter Power Saving Function ON.
2. Placing the key transmitter in a sealed metal key case.
- . Not practical but removing Battery from Key Transmitter* will prevent any Relay Attack.

The use of quality purchased vehicle security equipment which physically locks portions of the vehicle (i.e. steering wheel lock bar, external wheel lock, etc.) can also be used to decrease the security theft risk.

* Useful for older Mazda's with AKE without Battery Saver Button, or when car is in long term parking/storage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was actually thinking about this yesterday...If Mazda has a relay theft preventive feature. Though this is just about storing a key (battery saving perspective). I wonder if they are doing anything different from an everyday use perspective.

Here are the instructions from the manual:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
While Mazda is calling this a 'Battery Saving' feature or function, it's main purpose is to Stop Key Relay Thefts which is a problem worldwide. Plus the litigation or recovery costs associated with car theft from Insurance Companies...the Bonus is that it 'saves' Battery life.

IMO the majority of owners will not even bother trying to 'save' Key battery power.

Mazda are covering their backside as I believe this 'feature' while not new will be mandatory under 2020 EU Regs and NCAP/ANCAP (even though not technically a safety feature).

·
Working Class Hero
3,499 Posts
Dumb question, but is this 2019 and up only?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
While Mazda is calling this a 'Battery Saving' feature or function, it's main purpose is to Stop Key Relay Thefts which is a problem worldwide.
...only of the BACK UP key.

I don’t know anything about EU regs but unless its about the backup key or just giving people the option to turn off the keyless entry using the key, it wouldn’t be up to any relay theft reg for the main key.

For example, other manufacturers have a time out period or motion sensing or even send the signal in a different way to prevent the relay theft. This does none of that for the daily key hence it can only be called a battery saving feature because it doesn’t create a usable solution for relay theft in general.

Again, cool option to have but definitely not what I would call “Mazda’s solution to relay theft”

1 - 7 of 7 Posts