2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took my Mazda3 2011 to get keys programmed. They were supposed to program 2 remotes and 2 plain transponder keys. However, the technician told me that he failed to program the last remote using his computer, and that there was nothing more he could do about it, since now the car had reached the maximum of 8 programmed keys and the memory was full.

I asked him why he couldn't just erase the saved keys and start again, but he said I'd have to buy a new unit (can't remember the name) and install that in the car, just to be able to use the 4 keys!

I asked him about the "Customer key programming" mode that is mentioned in the service manual that allows one to easily program new keys with two working ones, but he said that it doesn't exist, and that all keys must be programmed using the computer. Furthermore, he said he has to get a code from the Mazda / Ford headquarters before he can program new ones, every time.

I find this all highly suspicious. Has anyone heard anything like this before? If I try and program my keys using the Customer key programming method as mentioned in the manual, can I break anything?

I'm in South Africa if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help

1 - 1 of 1 Posts