1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search with no results.

Anyone had to replace a lost key?

What does it cost?

Can you do it yourself or is dealer required?

Thanks.

Coop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try amazon [ame]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Mazda+Keyless+Entry+Remote+4-Button+Smart+Key+%28FCC+ID%3A+WAZSKE13D01+%2F+P%2FN%3A+GJR9-67-5RY+or+662F-SKE13D01%29[/ame]
You can then take it to a locksmith to get it programed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I didn't replace a lost key, but I added one. I got a used key on Ebay for $20. Be sure you get one with the right FCC Id and model number, and the right number of buttons. Most sellers post pictures, be sure it is the actual key. You can't program it yourself.

The hardest part is finding a locksmith to do the job. I found one in Clifton Park, NY.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The locksmith charged me $45 each for two. I got 2 because he wouldn't do the used key I brought him, so I bought new key and he programmed both. Apparently there's a lot of randomness dealing with different employees of the same shop.

It's hard to find a locksmith to do the job. My locksmith friend told me there's too much specialized equipment and training for him to bother with.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The locksmith charged me $45 each for two. I got 2 because he wouldn't do the used key I brought him, so I bought new key and he programmed both. Apparently there's a lot of randomness dealing with different employees of the same shop.

It's hard to find a locksmith to do the job. My locksmith friend told me there's too much specialized equipment and training for him to bother with.
That's why I tell people you can't lose your key fob and you better have a back up plan if you do, especially if you are on a road trip...otherwise, you could be paying for a very expensive tow from Nowhere USA to the nearest Mazda dealership, only to pay more for a new fob and programming...And some stealerships are known to charge $200 to $300+ for the service.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I lost mine. Have the replacement pinned into my fanny pack now. Never take it out except for inspection now.

Bought a new one online. Then went to a local locksmith who charged $50 to reprogram it and my wife's fob.

The 2016's fob is identical to the fob on our 2013 MX-5.

Ralph

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's why I tell people you can't lose your key fob and you better have a back up plan if you do, especially if you are on a road trip...otherwise, you could be paying for a very expensive tow from Nowhere USA to the nearest Mazda dealership, only to pay more for a new fob and programming...And some stealerships are known to charge $200 to $300+ for the service.
Can confirm. $240 for an add-on key in Rochester, MN.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I only took one big road trip with my previous car (2012 Elantra) and that was from Portland to Phoenix and back. I took the spare proximity key with me but kept it in my laptop bag wrapped in foil so it wouldn't freak out and keep popping the trunk. I actually forgot about it and it stayed wrapped in that foil in the laptop bag for over a year until I couldn't find it when I needed it. Took a few minutes of mind rummaging to remember what I did with it. :oops:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I only took one big road trip with my previous car (2012 Elantra) and that was from Portland to Phoenix and back. I took the spare proximity key with me but kept it in my laptop bag wrapped in foil so it wouldn't freak out and keep popping the trunk. I actually forgot about it and it stayed wrapped in that foil in the laptop bag for over a year until I couldn't find it when I needed it. Took a few minutes of mind rummaging to remember what I did with it. :oops:
I have a hide a key (very)secured to the underside of my car and a key fob (with battery removed) hidden inside the car...worse case I get a little dirty getting the hide a key. BTW, my observation of getting the hide a key cut was challenging for the locksmith as well. It took them 2-3 times to get each copy key to work properly. They could get the key to unlock the car but not lock, but they finally figured it out. These are key blanks and not the fob key.

One more thing to keep in mind, sometimes it's not just about losing the fob, but dropping it in water, getting pushed into a pool, etc. or something like that where it may become inoperable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts