2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what key FOB or O.E.M I should get + a picture so I can buy the right one for my 2006 Mazda 3s DOHC 2.3L Auto Sedan vin # JM1BK323361459957 ?...

Links would be nice

Also can someone please provide the car Key FOB pairing instructions for my vehicle ?

Thanks zoom zoom

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe a fob with the FCC code KPU41846 should work -- that's what I have for my 2006. You should be able to program a maximum of 3 fobs; whenever you do the programming sequence, you have to "register" every fob you want to continue using. The programming is at the top of this album about the keyless system:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thank you.... got another question ... What if I match up frequencys can I use a different looking key FOB ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cool thank you.... got another question ... What if I match up frequencys can I use a different looking key FOB ?
Well, I believe it has to be the correct FCC-registered transmitter. I've never seen an OEM or aftermarket different-looking fob for the 2004-2006 US-market cars. I believe 2007 is when they began transitioning to the "switchblade" key and fob combination -- you can do some digging and find that some enthusiasts have modified the 2004-2006 fob circuit board to fit into the switchblade-style case... but I'm not sure that's worth it.

Whatever you decide on, I think the non-negotiable part is that it must be the proper FCC code. Let us know if you learn otherwise.

Edit: this is as good a time as any to encourage you to program a third key if you already/only have two.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The FCC id is printed on every fob. All the fobs with the same id will look the same. Even if fobs have an identical circuit board but a different shape case, it gets a separate FCC approval because the position of the metal key and battery affect the back scatter properties of the transmitter. If you want a different fob, search around and maybe you find someone who has already figured out which substituions work. I know that Lexus wallet size fobs work with some Toyotas, but I don't know if there are any worthwhile Mazda substitutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts