2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I'm about to buy a used 2013 MZ3 i Touring. The one thing I'm hung up with is that the dealership was only going to provide one "advanced key" (the actual cut key blade without any remote). After not accepting the car based on that, they provided another full key with remote. So now the car has two programmed keys and one key fob. Would it be possible for me to buy another FOB for the second key, program it myself, and be able to have two full sets of keys?

I searched around the forum a bit but I'm just not sure that having only one working key FOB and two working keys is enough to program a second for the push button start and prox lock.

Remember, this is the push button start FOB, new remotes are hard to come by and it appears to be harder to program since the FOB allows push-button start to work. If I can't do this easily myself I'll try holding out on the deal until the dealer provides a second key FOB.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
There are different types of FOB remotes. There is the Advanced Keyless Entry (AKE) which can not be programmed by anyone other than the dealership (I would avoid buying a car like this in the future) - a lost key will cost you between $300 and $400 depending on the dealership, for the key and to program it. I have not found anyone else who can do this.

There are other FOB remotes that can be programmed - if you look hard enough, you may find it. I believe there is something in the mazda3forums web site. I can't remember and, since mine is a AKE, it doesn't do me much good. Maybe someone else here knows.

Let us now what you find. Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the AKE FOBs did not need to be reprogrammed, even if the battery is dead, just drop in a new battery every couple of years. Now I am wondering if that info is correct ...

Maybe in a few years time, there will be other sources for the AKE FOBs at lower cost ... kind of like there being other sources (eBay, amazon, OEM dealer discounts) for the SD NAV card now. :whistling 1:

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the AKE FOBs did not need to be reprogrammed, even if the battery is dead, just drop in a new battery every couple of years. Now I am wondering if that info is correct ...

Maybe in a few years time, there will be other sources for the AKE FOBs at lower cost ... kind of like there being other sources (eBay, amazon, OEM dealer discounts) for the SD NAV card now. :whistling 1:
For already programmed AKE FOBs, you are correct. New (2025) battery every 1 - 2 years.

And I sure hope someone finds a cheaper way to program a brand new key on the cheap, because that will really suck having to pay that much money for a key when they finally wear out. If you trade in your car every 5 - 7 years, no big deal. If you have a tendency to keep a car over 10 years (like me), I am thinking the keys are going to either get lost/stolen or wear out.

I've actually put my phone number on my keys and wrapped them in plastic wrap as preventive measures. Yeah, $350 is not going to kill you, but it is the principal of having to pay so much for a freakin' key... :thumbsdown 1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts