2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got back from the dealer having my backup key cut. I was told I was unable to program a 3rd fob myself and I had to pay them roughly $700 to have this done. I wanted both my remote start and key fob programmed. They also went into detail saying the remote start fob can only be paired once and no backup was possible. Can anyone confirm this is true with the Mazda 3 2016?

·
Registered
270 Posts
My dealer told me they would program a third key for $100. I found unprogrammed keys for under $100, but I didn't buy one because I couldn't confirm that a used key can be reprogrammed, or even that a key with the same serial number wold work with my car. You can definitely get a third key from a dealer, but apparently all the keys need to be programmed at the same time, and there is some problem that happens if there is a missing key. It's all a giant PITA. I want one of those Chevy keys that had a little knock out with a number, and if you lost it any locksmith could make you a new one from the number.
My locksmith friend told me the programming software and hardware is too costly for most locksmiths, so you are stuck with the dealer. Maybe in the big city you can find a locksmith who can work those keys, but not here in Upstate NY.

·
Linux Dude
65 Posts
I paid about $100 to have a third key programmed. I have the full factory manual and can't find a way we can do it ourselves. Need their special computer rig AFAIK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help!!

So i imported a 2015 Mazda Axela Hybrid and it only came with one key.

I tried to have a 2nd programmed and now no key works an my car can't start.

The programmer said its because the keys were from different regions and you need 2 to complete the configuration.

Can someone give advice please

ThankS
DH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts