2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Took the time to sand & polish my headlights today. Got rid of the oxidation on top of the lenses & fixed the clear coat portion of the lights that I peeled off when trying to tape off & spray some eye lids. Started with 600 grit & worked up, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 & 2000. Came out decent considering I was on a limited time frame & kinda rushed thru it faster than I wanted. If you look at the before pics closely, you can see the where the painters tape lifted off the clear coating.

Passenger before:

Passenger after:

Driver before:

Driver after:

On a different note, I’m gonna try mount these 6” LED light bars where the factory fogs would be.

Not a big fan of circular figs & I always liked the pre-facelifted gen2 rectangular fogs. Should be fun figuring out how to mount & what to cut. If I don’t like how it looks, I’ll most likely scrap the idea & just get the factory fog assembly off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pedals got installed today. Brake pedal put up a fight trying to drill thru. Took longer drilling thru than my wife’s car did. Was worth the extra effort though. Not bad for a measly $20.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Oh the joys of camber wear...

Touching the inside of the rim ??

To be fair, these tires were only 3 years old but mounted on my old Mazda6 with about -5 degrees camber in the rear. The fronts are okay, but I’m changing tire sizes to a 225/40 maybe 235/40 instead of 225/35 tires.

Time to paint the G35 7 spoke beaters & slap them on & prep these rims for new tires & paint.

Changing the MazdaFitment banner to black, going to black spiked lugs, black spiked valve stem & finishing the rims in a anodized/candy purple. Rattle can of course. Hopefully they turn out well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Got 2 of 4 beaters on. Digging the black on black, as i usually don’t, but idk. Tire size looks off to me, but possibly because I’m just too used to seeing 225/35s stretched on 9.5” rims on my car.

The 2 rears are stock G35 7 spoke 18x8 et30 rims wrapped in 225/40s mounted on 20mm spacers. The 225/40s may look better stretched on my 9.5’s, but I just can’t see it. Fitment is almost there. Some stretch would have helped flush the lip with the fender flare. As of right now, the tires rub a little under load & in corners but only on the fender flares, so I’m not too worried about that.

Your opinions would help whether or not I go 225/40s & make the proper adjustments or stick with the 225/35s. I really need to get my hands on some GT side skirts. The DIY splitters need to sit a little lower IMO.

On a separate note, I think these rims match my wife’s 3rd gen sedan better than my 2nd gen hatch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm actually a very big fan of those G35 wheels, those look beautiful!

Lol. I’m a fan of these rims as well. Scored these from an old co-worker maybe 4 years ago after he bought new rims. Sold all 4 to me for $50 with 2 month old tires. Lol. I just wish I could make them wider. ??

Hopefully once i put on the other 2 rims, after I PD them, that I’ll like it a little bit better. I think some tire stretch would have made the rims look a little more normal to me. Haha.

Researching 225/40s stretched on 9.5s doesn’t look too bad. Little more sidewall then what I’m used to, but I think the meatier look might actually work better visually on MiCA.

Thanks for the love bro. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Last 2 beaters PD’d. Hopefully can mount tomorrow & go back to driving MiCA. Neglected her this whole week. She been sitting in my parking lot since the flat tire besides the quick run around the block to check clearance of the bigger tires. Lol

Shetty to decent in less than 20 minutes. Lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So out of sheer boredom, curiosity & more likely stupidity, I did this today to my rims. ???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Changed MiCA’s oil today. Switched to some Royal Purple 5w20 full synthetic with a WiX oil filter.

Swapped out the drain plug for a Fumoto F106SX drain plug for easier oil changes in the future. Fits perfectly without the need of the recommended adapter. Drain time will be lengthened due to the smaller drain hole of the fumoto, but I’ll gladly take that over fumbling with the drain plug every change. Actually lost my drain plug in the catch box as it flew off as soon as the oil started spewing out.

While I had her on jacks, I finally got around to installing the 2 front RallyArmor mud flaps which will hopefully keep my side skirt extensions a little cleaner now.

Cleaned & re-oiled the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB & also used the Gumout direct injection intake valve & port cleaner.

She sounded much happier on the drive to the gas station. Lol.

& last but not least, I’ve finally settled on getting these bad boys for next year

Yes, there are the same design as my current rims but are just based off the Kiwami 2p.

Plan to run 18x9.5 et15 up front & 18x10.5 et22 in the rear. Switch to coilovers, cut my fenders & possibly order a set of clinched fender flares as I don’t want to be running an aggressive amount of negative camber...I just want that wide stance.

So let’s see how this goes...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Had issues with my belt tensioner beginning to fail, so I swapped mine out today. Not the easiest thing to do if you have big hands.

Old tensioner would squeal when the ac was on from a standstill or accelerating anywhere from 5-10mph in traffic. When I removed the old one, the pulley was still in good shape, although the part where the assembly pivoted had about 2-3mm of sidewards play as the new one did not.

After swapping it out, the squealing is gone & I can finally use my ac in traffic again.

Also took the time to swap out my LED lows for some bulbs with RGB modules on it for that quick demon eye effect. The light output of the actual low beams themselves are not as bright or as white as the old ones, but they still are a step up from the halogens when I first bought the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Just a quick shot of the interior pieces. Still need to paint the vent trim, double din trim & HVAC trim to match. Wrapping the silver accents on the dash with purple sparkle vinyl wrap.

And waiting to get this installed. However, don’t know if this will pass recon laws where I am, so I gotta wait til I find out.

heh. nice work

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

All these parts yet no free time to wrench.

Sitting on 4 215/40/18 Achilles ATR Sport tires, new 2” clinched style fender flares, OEM fog housings, projector fog replacements, hood struts & new 1 piece 50 Caliber black spiked lugs.

Got a new paint gun kit to paint my rims, yet trying to find a purple to my liking that can be sprayed has proved to be a challenge. Stuck between a custom mixed sparkle purple off a scanned piece of wrap I had, Chevy bright purple metallic, Lotus Aubergine or plum crazy metallic.

On a different note, finally got her tinted on Monday. 35% ceramic all around. Wish I could go darker like I used to on previous vehicles, but tint laws in Hawaii are pretty strict. Fines around $170/window & with 9 windows on the Genpu, that’s no bueno.

I’ll get a pic of her with the new tint tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Got my 5 panel mirror in yesterday & took some time today to install it during work.

Straight out of the box, you won’t be able to use the mirror right away unless you purchase a spacer & new nut & bolt to compensate the gap between the mirror & where the brackets fall when screwed into the sun visor point.

My impatient self couldn’t wait, so I McGyvered my mounts & pretty much just bent the mounts inwards to fill the gap so it would sit flush when the mirror is angled & tightened.

Worked like a charm. Looks almost like the manufacturer made it this way. Lol. Took some pics after work when I was at the in laws waiting for the wife to arrive.

End result

Bent mounts

Wide angle view of entire mirror & McGyvered mounts

I must say, it’s the first time I’ve had this mirror after wanting one for such a long time, but damn what a difference in field of view this thing throws. Love the fact that I can see out both rear windows without having to blind spot check, although I’m a creature of habit & still do anyway. Lol

And last but not least, a pic of my very dirty car showing off her tint that I’ve neglected to take since tinting her.

Rolling on stocks as the G35s suffered 2 flats after rolling thru an accident scene that wasn’t properly cleaned up. Hate the look of her like this, but this is the “under construction” part of her life.

Mounted my window curtains a week or so ago, but didn’t really see the need to post a pic of it. Lol. Most people won’t understand why the hell I have curtains in my car, but I mainly got them for my kids when they ride with me & the Hawaiian sun gets to be a little too much for them.

Got a few things in the works as well. Getting my tires unmounted from the old rims finally so I can begin stripping the PD from them & repainting them. Ordered a quart of intercoat, reducer, 2k clear, activator & 50g of plum crazy metallic pearl pigments to get the shade of purple I’m looking for. Most likely gonna black out what I can in the interior & paint trim pieces with the same paint to tie things together.

Yet, while I plan on painting my old rims, I’m gonna purchase some new rims. Ordering a set of AodHan DS02 in 18x9.5 (F) & 18x10.5 (R) which I’ll probably polish the lip & paint the spokes white, do a purple lip & leave the spokes polished. Or black lip w/purple spikes. We’ll see.

Also finally found a wrecked Mazda3 hatch with the side skirts I need, so I need to go pick those up this week or next.

Next few months are gonna be busy when I can find the time

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Took her in after work yesterday for recon prep.

Pleasantly surprised that everything was in acceptable range except for the toe after the installation of the drop springs.

Rear camber was sitting right on the edge of manufacturer range with the driver rear sitting at -2.4 & passenger rear sitting at -2.5.

Just gotta swap the stock steering wheel back in & hopefully I pass recon. Need to pass so I can get my safety check since its 2 months expired.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Welp...
Failed my recon last week. Everything I was worried about passed, & stuff I wasn’t worried about didn’t.

Doing some recon prep today. Had to redo my exhaust. Pulled the tip back into the bumper 2.5” as it created a “safety hazard” to others that walked behind my car. They stated someone could cut their leg on it, which is a valid point, being as I’ve done it many times, but at the same time, no one should be that close to the rear of car ANYWAY. Had to add a cherry bomb glass-pack today, as state law REQUIRES a muffler of some type or something with baffles in it. It took away the loud deep rumble at 3k rpm which I don’t like but oh well. I’m only gonna cut it back off & put the cherry bomb in place of the cat & resonator when I go back. In the meantime, I’m stuck hating the way my exhaust looks now. A sunken in, straight tip w/no angle.

Gotta scrape off the windshield banner, remove my curtains & pull the spikes off my lugs & try my luck again tomorrow.

On a brighter note, my new rims came in over the weekend. Square set of 18x9.5” +22 DS02s. Silver face & machined lip.

Gonna sand the faces & paint them white & sand & polish the lip to get a chrome effect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Finally passed recon & got my safety done.

No need for any more anxiety when cops rolling around by me.

Now for the real fun to begin

Waiting to be inspected. Hood up, windows down.

After 15yrs of avoiding of this, finally had to go legit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Got my MazdaSpeed wing extension yesterday. A few imperfections, but nothing some sanding, primer & paint can’t fix. A little heat persuasion & she conforms nicely to the Sky wing.

Got 1 rim almost completely masked off at work yesterday as well. Hopefully I can start painting next weekend so I can get the new rims & new flares on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

My play on metallic black. Lol. Ghetto “flake effect” using a leftover can of silver glitter spray I had.

Couple more coats clear. Let it dry for about 24 hours. A little wet sand & polish & she’ll be ready to mount.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Half an hour of wet sanding to remove the orange peel & an hour spent hand polishing my wing extension to a mirror finish later, she’s ready for some 3m tape, some heat & mounting to her new home.

I’ll get some better pics tomorrow.

Not bad for some rattle cans...

41 - 60 of 82 Posts