2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
when you look for the side window visors, get the WELL visors brand...made of polycarbonate, not acrylic, nice !

Ordered me a set yesterday & got one for my wife’s 3rd gen too. Closest to the JDM spec visors I had on my 1st gen 6 that I could find. Not a fan of stick on visors. Haha. Atleast the Well visors get clips on um.

Mahaloz mah braddah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Took some time to re-roll & hammer my rear fenders due to cutting issues with the tire. Since I had the rear in the air & wheels off, got the rear Rally Armor mud flaps on, relocated my safety check sticker & got the Home Depot lip installed. Gotta go back & clean up the sagging areas of the lip with some small metal brackets to use as a longer surface area type washer to support the underside of the lip.

& for those wondering why I used a Home Depot lip, it’s only temporary until I get my BaysonR lip.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Short hub, quick release & steering wheel installed during lunch. Took all of 20 minutes to do. Horn isn’t hooked up & no resistor yet to turn off the airbag light. I’ll save that for another day when I get the supplies. Need to figure out the wiring to get the horn working.

[[EDIT]]
For an Ebay & Amazon sourced setup ($32 quick release off Amazon, $90 steering wheel off eBay & a $40 short hub adapter off FlashPower.com) it’s pretty damn solid.

Took it to an empty lot after work & drove it hard. Tried to mimic some quick reaction scenarios jerking the wheel violently as if I were trying to avoid a collision. There’s no play in the quick release, the steering wheel is solid enough for me to pull myself up out of my seat without it bending, like other brands of eBay wheels & the short hub fit perfectly.

The only downfalls is the steering is slightly harder to turn, be it the size and/or weight difference compared to stock, the turn signal & wiper stalks are farther away & I’ve lost my automatic signal switch off function, due to the removal of the clock spring, & I can no longer access my dash screen menu/settings, which I don’t mind since I rarely used it anyway.

Besides those downfalls, I’m happy with it. Ties in with the interior accent colors. Just need to finish painting the rest of the center console so it’ll match better.

[[EDIT 2]]
Horn wired up & working great. No issues with the quick release or steering wheel as of yet. Took apart my dash menu controls from the OEM wheel to figure out some things. Gonna pick up a spare control & wire harness from a junkyard to cut up & re-wire to gain menu access again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Top AC vents & double din kit PD’d white. Need to wrap the outer double din surround with the sparkle purple wrap I get & PD the AC controls but after finding out what I gotta do to remove it, its gonna have to wait for another day...

Debating whether or not to PD the top of the dash gauges to match.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Center console officially done. Wasn’t as hard as it looked considering all the pieces needed to be moved to remove the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Do car crashes just...not happen on the island? Why take the risk with no airbag?

Meh. Given the fact that I really only use my car during the weekdays on the same route I take everyday & the average speed I see during the mornings & afternoons driving in traffic (mornings maybe 60-65mph for all of 2 minutes or less until I hit traffic, afternoons I rarely go above 35-40mph on my 11 mile drive home), I didn’t see an immediate need for my airbag.

I still have my entire OEM steering wheel intact should I feel the need or get forced to go back to OEM. No connections were cut or severed. Everything was unplugged & tucked away neatly.

My vehicle is pretty much a work car for me as my wife hates driving/riding in my car because of the harsh ride of the 225/35 tires & lowered suspension & the fact that I still rub a little in the rear.

Other than that, it’s a 22/23 mile round trip to & from work, with average speeds being 25-30mph on the freeway with about a car & a half length behind other cars. I’ll take my chances.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is pretty much the only reason why I ever wanted a quick disconnect...

Stupid reason, yes, to give up the airbag just for “show” purposes, but like previously stated in the above post, given my daily driving routes & speeds, I’ve had more harm done to me from an airbag at the same speeds.

Besides that, I just like flexin’ it at work & store parking lots.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Guinea pigged a set of those RGB 9005 bulbs I keep seeing on eBay. Found a set for $40 as opposed to the normal $80-$100 price tag.

Took my eBay drl module out as over the time I had it, it developed this annoying on/off thing where every time I let off the gas or hit the brake, it would shut off then come back on 2-5 seconds later. Using the module disabled my high beams that I never use unless flashing someone in traffic that I’m giving way to them.

With these bulbs, they pretty much work like regular LED swap bulbs. Fitment in the housing is a little loose but can be solved with the spare bulb gaskets I have from my many pairs of HID bulbs from previous years. PnP for the regular high beam function. Need to run another harness connecting the Bluetooth module for both lights to power & negative. Took all of 5 mins or less.

Another pointless mod, but now I can be a f**kboy & change the color of my drls in traffic when I want.

https://youtu.be/qdNpe2v-EeM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Put on some aftermarket pedals on my wife’s Axela since she was missing them from when she had them on her 3rd gen Atenza.

I gotta say, I missed these pedals too, so I ordered me a set for my hatch afterwards. Lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Got the wife’s & my visors on. Not the ones I initially wanted, but due to WellVisors not having either of ours in stock & not knowing when another batch would be readily available for purchase, I bought some cheap ones off eBay for now. For $20, they ain’t bad. They do the job. Fitment isn’t perfect, but I’d say it’s a solid 90%.

Also wired up some LED strips in my wife’s trunk since that puny 74 bulb or whatever it is doesn’t do much of lighting. Don’t mind the mess in the trunk. Lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
is the quick release setup the same on 2011 sedan?

i wanna get a quick release setup.

mind sharing a link for it?

Setup is the same.

This is the short hub adapter I used:

http://www.flashpowerparts.com/steering-wheel-adapters/687-steering-wheel-short-hub-adapter-billet-black-for-ford.html

As for the quick release, it’s up to you which one you wanna go with. I went with the cheap “Sparco” quick release after looking up/watching reviews on the build quality & overall feel & performance of the product. NRG releases range from $80-$120 depending what you get. The “Sparco” one I got cost me $32. Works the same except to put the wheel on the hub, you need to pull back on the release part to put the steering wheel on as opposed to NRG brands which just push on, which wasn’t a biggie to me.

It’s been about a month or so I think since running this almost everyday, taking it off & on, & still no play in the release itself.

Be forewarned though, once you disconnect the clock spring, air bag & steering controls, your DSC light will stay on, your EPS (Electronic Power Steering) light will stay on, you lose the power steering aid when your stopped or at slow speeds & your airbag light will periodically blink.

For quick reference though, here’s the links to the other parts I purchased for my setup:

Quick Release
Ocamo Universal Quick Release Hub Adapter, Steering Wheel Ball Quick Release Hub Adapter Auto Snap Off Boss kit

Steering Wheel
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112592399500

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
anychance you have the part number of the spoilerking spoiler you used?

edit:

NM found their store on ebay- WAY better then the web site

Car looks good, diggin the flares

Thanks bro.

Flares surprised me in fitment considering it’s a universal fitment. Fit quite well. Only gripe is the corners stick up cause the screw points are a little too far up.

As for the spoiler, the eBay store is surprisingly better than the actual website. Easier to navigate if that makes sense. Lol.

Just make sure that if you plan on doing this, you get the ducktail & possibly get the 41” long one. The 42” I got is a little too long, about half an inch on both sides, so it sticks up. Thought it would hold the curvature of the wing but I suppose the supplied 3M tape isn’t strong enough to hold its shape when it’s sitting in the sun for long periods.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Got my “Big 3” upgrade done.

Used 1/0 gauge welding wire & tried my best to follow the stock wire routing.

Ended up making a new engine block ground since the factory location is a PITA to get to. Used a nut & bolt to secure new ground on the passenger side bracket coming off the strut mounts like the battery negative to chassis is on the drivers side.

Idle running, the voltage stays in the mid to high 13s as opposed to fluctuating between 12.5 & 13.1 volts. Haven’t test drove it yet to see how it likes my amp & sub combo. Probably won’t make much of a difference considering the voltage is probably controlled by the ECU. Need to re-tune my amp & install the new factory MTX bass knob & toss the RCA bass knob I’ve been using.

Please excuse the dirty engine bay & amp wiring, I haven’t really cleaned it since owning the car besides the occasional engine cover wipe down. Need to order more 1/0 gauge & redo my amp power wiring as well. At the time, I didn’t realize the 1/0 gauge I received was actually 2/0 gauge. Made the wiring process a nightmare.

[[EDIT]]
Saw 14 volts for the first time on my drive to work in the year I’ve owned the car. Sub hits a little harder. Gonna invest in a 2nd battery to solely run my amps & sub. Noticed my third brake light dimming on songs but not as much as before. Would go the cheap route & do a 2.5 farad cap, however, having a 2nd battery would prove more useful to me in the long run.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Cleaned & oiled my intake filter & grounded my TB with some leftover 10ga OFC speaker wire I had laying around. May be placebo, but the car changes gears smoother now & the throttle is a bit more responsive as opposed to before. The slight but noticeable delay is now gone. For a free mod, I’ll run with it.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts