2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what K&N performance gold oil filter fits a 2014 Mazda 3(japan) 2.0L skyactiv?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I only found the regular K&N premium filter fit my 2014 GT works best. I run full synthetic. I used to use Fram but threads near the top made it too hard to spin on. Tough to find good filter for japan built GT

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Careful w/ aftermarket filters. The SkyactivG-specific oil filters are designed NOT TO HAVE AntiDrainBackValves! I'd stick w/ genuine Mazda Sky-specific.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
680 Posts
I will agree .. with sky engines stick to OEM Mazda

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
27 Posts
Careful w/ aftermarket filters. The SkyactivG-specific oil filters are designed NOT TO HAVE AntiDrainBackValves! I'd stick w/ genuine Mazda Sky-specific.

I read through that thread and the information presented comes from an insider within Mazda, but does not go on to present an factual data. Since the person involved giving the statements seems to have that data I'm partial into believing that person's statements, I prefer seeing evidence that backs up claims.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is very interesting. Cars are becoming more complex with very sensitive sensors, computers, and components.
So this would not surprise me.
Mazda OEM filters are not particularly expensive and I haven't had an issue with them. So I will continue using them for my oil changes as long as they are available.
In fact this is the only car I've owned where I have only used OEM components. It is also the newest car I've owned.
But I would be interested in following this data as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
the way i see it the logic differential is pretty simple here.

• well known that due to different flow characteristics many cars (not just mazda) can have issues with off brand oil filters
  • we know the OEM filters work and cause no issues
  • we don't know for sure if off brand filters work correctly without further information

maybe if someone knows who makes our OEM filters? that would be a good place to start

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
It also follows that non-OEM filters must be working. The SA-G motors have been around for 10 years now, and there are hundreds of thousands of SA powered cars out there. How many are using aftermarket instead of OEM filters? There have been no documented reports of engine failures due to using an aftermarket replacement oil filter specified for the SA-G motor. If it was a real issue there would have been much discussion about it long ago....
Japan made OEM filters are produced by Toyo-Roki, the current Thailand made filters are almost certainly a Denso product.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It also follows that non-OEM filters must be working. The SA-G motors have been around for 10 years now, and there are hundreds of thousands of SA powered cars out there. How many are using aftermarket instead of OEM filters? There have been no documented reports of engine failures due to using an aftermarket replacement oil filter specified for the SA-G motor. If it was a real issue there would have been much discussion about it long ago....
Japan made OEM filters are produced by Toyo-Roki, the current Thailand made filters are almost certainly a Denso product.
No argument there, good sir. Wish we had more details on requirements/specs & relative data. Mazda could have technical reasons to not use any of their existing versions. Oil filters, faults by them won't likely show up in a few oil change cycles.
Personally, where OEM is available & unpricey...& for something that won't have any instant felt difference going otherwise, there isn't much reason to go substitute. Besides, certainty is better opted than suspect.

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Personally, where OEM is available & unpricey...& for something that won't have any instant felt difference going otherwise, there isn't much reason to go substitute. Besides, certainty is better opted than suspect.
Thats just the thing....not everyone has a dealer close by. Lots of owners here in the US need to travel quite a distance to the nearest dealer. For a $10 filter, is it worth an hour or two drive when the same filter can be had for the same price or less at NAPA or Auto Zone down the street? Oil is the same....why pay through the nose for "OEM Mazda branded" oil when you can get the exact same Castrol Edge oil at most auto parts store for much less?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thats just the thing....not everyone has a dealer close by. Lots of owners here in the US need to travel quite a distance to the nearest dealer. For a $10 filter, is it worth an hour or two drive when the same filter can be had for the same price or less at NAPA or Auto Zone down the street? Oil is the same....why pay through the nose for "OEM Mazda branded" oil when you can get the exact same Castrol Edge oil at most auto parts store for much less?
Fortunately, the dealership local to me is close by. Sometimes, I do get a few in 1 go from them or online.
With the R53, I can relate w/ what you're saying & Genuine is just way overpriced, I settle for the OE equivalent Mann+Hummel which makes em for BMW.
Oil is a different story, I note every car's specs. Mazda's ACEA A5/B5 requirement is offered by many. Hobo I go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts