2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a K&N drop in filter avail for the 4th gen?
I love mine. It helps with the throttle response a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
K&N makes a lot of claims......however....they aren't true for the most part.....

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
You may find this interesting:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may find this interesting:

Indeed! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love mine. It helps with the throttle response a bit.

So have you noticed any increased wear in your engine usin the K&N Filter? Thinking of gettin one for the next maintenance routine but was wondering a bit about it since it lets in a little bit more small particles in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
6,229 Posts
So have you noticed any increased wear in your engine usin the K&N Filter? Thinking of gettin one for the next maintenance routine but was wondering a bit about it since it lets in a little bit more small particles in the engine.
How would you know without a complete disassembly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're not going to void your warranty and from the testing article I posted above I don't think you need to worry. My sense is I've gained a little muscle in my car but I've never had any problems with K&N in all the cars I've run them in (3 so far).

I'm also not driving in super dusty areas, either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had K&N in my last car that I had from 30k to 201k. The car lasted me that long so I agree with SixSpeed.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
687 Posts
The logic is you increase the air intake for combustion you increase HP the engine can produce (up to a certain point).
Air temp makes a difference . OEM air filter & air box pull in only outside air. Replacing OEM filter and box with CAI should increase volume (less restrictive filter)
but now your intake is from the hot engine bay. So do you really gain , from less to more air, from cold to hot temp difference (outside to inside)
CAI you do gain in engine noise , but their can be a gain in debris entering combustion (OEM filter does a better job of filtering debris)
If your driving environment is very dusty i would not switch to CAI . If you are in a dusty area with CAI you could use a hydroshield (also keeps moisture out)
Or better yet .. box your CAI with an outside air feed/s and pop on a hydroguard when not a track or autocross event.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts