2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably should of made one of these a while back, but anyways...

Bought my silver gs back in May of 2011. She served me really well and didn't give me one problem.

I installed a Simota intake and CS exhaust with racepipe. It was hilariously loud, but a riot to drive. I was contemplating on putting some more money into the car; suspension, rsb and some other things, but wasn't sure if it was going to be worth it.

So I decided to turn to the darkside and get a Speed. I got it with Tech and this car is awesome. The clutch difference was surprising from my 2.0, but I've pretty well got it down from the couple of test drives and picking it up last night. The car is going to be pretty much stock till about next spring time. I ordered the cpe 60 rmm for my 2.0, but I have a feeling that might be a little soft for the speed from what I've read.

Anyways, is there anything I should and shouldn't be doing to break her in? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Congrats on you new MS3!!! Dope huh!

I had the same question about breaking it in... so many different opinions out there on how to do it.
Some baby it for 2k miles stating that everything needs to gradually break in... blah.
Others go got about 100 then start to drive it a lil more aggressively, still keeping it fairly light. Their reasoning is "if you drive it hard early, it will like to be driven hard later.. "

Personally I picked option 2... but I try my hardest to drive normal and keep it out of boost, constantly changing rpm ranges (which is actually manufacturer recommended) especially when it comes to the frwys. Dont keep it at a certain rpm range for too long.
On streets, I do moderate engine breaking/down shifting when coming to stops. Then every once in a while, to feed my animistic need, I jump on the boost for short periods of time but not buck wild.
Oh also make sure you give the car ample warm up and cool down time. 3-5 min warm up and 30+ seconds cool down. Longer if you've been driving hard. The MS3s have a watercooled turbo so the cooldown time is dramatically reduced.

Ultimately, do you bro. Today's engines and technology are so solid you really cant do too much to kill the engine unless you just go balls to the walls and WOT at every opportunity. LOL!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on you new MS3!!! Dope huh!

I had the same question about breaking it in... so many different opinions out there on how to do it.
Some baby it for 2k miles stating that everything needs to gradually break in... blah.
Others go got about 100 then start to drive it a lil more aggressively, still keeping it fairly light. Their reasoning is "if you drive it hard early, it will like to be driven hard later.. "

Personally I picked option 2... but I try my hardest to drive normal and keep it out of boost, constantly changing rpm ranges (which is actually manufacturer recommended) especially when it comes to the frwys. Dont keep it at a certain rpm range for too long.
On streets, I do moderate engine breaking/down shifting when coming to stops. Then every once in a while, to feed my animistic need, I jump on the boost for short periods of time but not buck wild.
Oh also make sure you give the car ample warm up and cool down time. 3-5 min warm up and 30+ seconds cool down. Longer if you've been driving hard. The MS3s have a watercooled turbo so the cooldown time is dramatically reduced.

Ultimately, do you bro. Today's engines and technology are so solid you really cant do too much to kill the engine unless you just go balls to the walls and WOT at every opportunity. LOL!
Yah option 2 definitely sounds more reasonable, thats basically what I did with my 2.0. By warming up do you mean just sitting idling? I never did that with my old car, I know this car is a completely different animal, so the comparison isn't really fair.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Ill keep the different rpm ranges in mind, never knew about that. Good info, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Yah option 2 definitely sounds more reasonable, thats basically what I did with my 2.0. By warming up do you mean just sitting idling? I never did that with my old car, I know this car is a completely different animal, so the comparison isn't really fair.
Yeah in the mornings just start it up and let it run for a few minutes or at least until the blue water temp light goes off. It just gives the turbo a chance to get warmed up and properly lubed!

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
You haven't browsed through it already?!?! :eek:hsnap 1:
It makes for some good toilet reading.
Ill have to throw it in there lol. Need some good reading material in there. I could probably tell u all the ingredients in my soap and shampoo...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
where is this?

freakin awesome! I love nature. it's so beautiful. more people need to get out camping and just get away from the big cities. take a few days break from electronics. so far this year, I've done joshua tree, big bear, yosemite, and upcoming will be redwood national park. possibly taking the speed3 with me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
where is this?

freakin awesome! I love nature. it's so beautiful. more people need to get out camping and just get away from the big cities. take a few days break from electronics. so far this year, I've done joshua tree, big bear, yosemite, and upcoming will be redwood national park. possibly taking the speed3 with me.
That was in Jasper National Park in Alberta. I recently moved out west so it was my first time seeing the mountains, it was incredible. I'm looking forward to the winter for the amazing skiing too! Gonna need to get some good winter tires for this beast.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That was in Jasper National Park in Alberta. I recently moved out west so it was my first time seeing the mountains, it was incredible. I'm looking forward to the winter for the amazing skiing too! Gonna need to get some good winter tires for this beast.
amazing!! if you ever get a chance, make your way down to Yosemite and the sierra nevada mountains. it's some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I would consider Yosemite a must see for any one in the world. the picture is the view when you go through the tunnel and enter yosemite valley

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
amazing!! if you ever get a chance, make your way down to Yosemite and the sierra nevada mountains. it's some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I would consider Yosemite a must see for any one in the world. the picture is the view when you go through the tunnel and enter yosemite valley
Yah that is incredible looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts