2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 mz3, manual trans.

Normally I shift pretty quick, but when upshifting I've noticed that I get a little increase in engine rpm when I hit the clutch.

This hasn't been a problem, just curious. Only other manual car I've owned was an old Hyundai accent which did not do this. That being said, it was woefully underpowered with a small flywheel.

I suspect this behaviour is simply some of the stored energy in the rotating flywheel being released when all load is removed. Only thing it can do is speed up.

Like I said, just trying to make sure that this isn't something else going on.

Thanks guys.

·
Working Class Hero
3,602 Posts
You may need to adjust your foot timing. I think you're getting off the gas a tick too late.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may need to adjust your foot timing. I think you're getting off the gas a tick too late.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
I think so too. Even though your foot might be off the gas pedal, you may be pressing clutch while the fuel is still pumped into cylinder.

Either get foot off gas a tad sooner, or get on clutch a tad later.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree and suggest you check this site out.
thanks for that link! very useful. from what i gather after reading that, i'm simply noticing a characteristic of a more modern ECU. without installing the mentioned modification or something similar, there's really nothing to do about it. it's not really a problem, doesn't affect drivability of the car at all. and yes i've still noticed this if i shift more slowly but not nearly as bad. i just wanted to know if this is something worth pursuing with the dealer - i'd say not.

and yes i have considered that the problem might lie somewhere between the seat at the steering wheel. doesn't really matter how quickly i hit the clutch or when. i can have my foot entirely off the gas and then hit the clutch, it's still there. far less of a rpm jump, but still it's there. shifting more quickly seems to make it more noticeable. funny that it's always the same jump in rpms...a solid 500rpm roughly and it just hangs there. slower shifting will make it less than 500 rpm.

i've been driving nothing but stick and clutch for over 8 years now...and never this problem with the old car. i'm thinking rev hang is the only explanation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One action that helps avoiding the rpm increase is to get used to delaying hitting the clutch after taking your foot off the gas. Try 1 second and if it does not help, extend the delay to 2 or more seconds. Then you can change gears quickly without an increase in rpm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i was taught to let go of the gas before you hit the clutch, so i never have this issue...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was taught to let go of the gas before you hit the clutch, so i never have this issue...
take a read of my previous posts for a minute...

this is what i'm doing and still getting the rev hang or whatever it is. i'm just quick with it which seems to make it worse. if there's a good load on the engine, this will happen no matter how fast or slow i let off gas and then hit clutch. slower just reduces the issue, it does not eliminate it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In 2014 as Mazda was working through its bugs, you can sometimes get this car into 'raw' mode.

Zero rev hang. Rev dropped like a brick as soon as you depressed the clutch. Turn the car into very raw machine.

You know you were in this mode because instrument cluster wouldn't tell you what gear you are in. lol

·
Save the Manuals
267 Posts
In 2014 as Mazda was working through its bugs, you can sometimes get this car into 'raw' mode.

Zero rev hang. Rev dropped like a brick as soon as you depressed the clutch. Turn the car into very raw machine.

You know you were in this mode because instrument cluster wouldn't tell you what gear you are in. lol
More information please??

·
Registered
184 Posts
More information please??
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/44593-missing-gear-shift-indicator-manual-transmission.html

You can read through the first page here.

On second page, someone posted a way to replicate it.

Back on topic, this is a known bug/issue mentioned in other threads. In short, if you turn the ignition on without starting the engine (hit the button without the clutch pressed), then start the car afterward, the shift indicator doesn't show. If you start from ignition-off the normal way, the shift indicator shows up.

If you stall the car, you're restarting it from ignition-on which causes the bug to show up that way as well. Turning off and then restarting from off fixes it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts