2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring Hatchback with tech package in Sky Blue. I had the hardest time finding one that matched all of these things. It all kind of happened last night... I went to test drive a used Mazda 3 s Grand Touring hatchback and the dealer didn't want to negotiate at all, so we walked out and went to Faulkner Mazda in Harrisburg, PA. They were very helpful and were able to find me one at another dealer in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The sales manager at Faulkner told me they had nothing to trade for it, but were nice enough to give me the name of the dealer and told me to go buy it from them. I called that dealer last night and they said I could have it for invoice price... the deal was only good until today (12/31/11). This particular car had just come in and was not even listed on the dealer's website yet. Turns out many dealers were calling them about it and I ended up getting it today! I drove 122 miles to get it. I am really happy with it so far. Gas mileage is great! I averaged the full 39 MPG HWY that Mazda advertises.

Derek

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome! Nice to see another sky blue hatch. I picked up the iTouring hatch with 6MT a couple days ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well done Derek.

I hope to pick 3 up on Monday. I have been waiting for 2 1/2 weeks to get it delivered, not sure if they are brining it in from Sudan or something hahaha but I can't wait.

Looks nice, how do you find the power with the Skactive? I got the standard 2.6 engine but I'm curious about the Sky.

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got a graphite one a few days ago but damn! That blue is hot. Good thing (I guess) they didnt have one on the lot.

I found the power at the low end to be lacking but and there seems to be a slight delay at times from hitting the gas to getting a response, but at the 3-6 gears it can really zip around. I dont race and just use to commute to work so its not a problem.

OP - this is hard to describe but when you start your car does it kind of grind/growl for about 4-5 seconds and then go to a quiet hum? The dealer told me its normal for skyactives but its pretty apparent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a graphite one a few days ago but damn! That blue is hot. Good thing (I guess) they didnt have one on the lot.

I found the power at the low end to be lacking but and there seems to be a slight delay at times from hitting the gas to getting a response, but at the 3-6 gears it can really zip around. I dont race and just use to commute to work so its not a problem.
Thanks bud.

My first choice was graphite but there wouldn't have one available for potentially a few months. The Indio Blue looks great in pictures and my wife prefers blue so I said "go for it".

Anyone seen the Indigo in person? I don't know if there are many in Canada yet as I don't think they have been available in North America yet. I hope I made a good choice with that color?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

mrfister is right on about the low end power... it seems like I have to push down on the accelerator a bit to get going, but once I'm going it's pretty quick. Passing on the highway is no problem... I was actually going pretty fast coming home because I wanted to breakin the engine. I was trying different speeds because I heard you shouldn't stay at one speed for the breakin.

OP - this is hard to describe but when you start your car does it kind of grind/growl for about 4-5 seconds and then go to a quiet hum? The dealer told me its normal for skyactives but its pretty apparent.
Yeah, mine does that too. I think it's normal.

Derek

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bud.

My first choice was graphite but there wouldn't have one available for potentially a few months. The Indio Blue looks great in pictures and my wife prefers blue so I said "go for it".

Anyone seen the Indigo in person? I don't know if there are many in Canada yet as I don't think they have been available in North America yet. I hope I made a good choice with that color?
I saw the Indigo... it looks nice. The only thing i hate about the indigo one is that you can only get it with the dune interior color. I did not like the dune interior color; black is way better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw the Indigo... it looks nice. The only thing i hate about the indigo one is that you can only get it with the dune interior color. I did not like the dune interior color; black is way better.
I believe in Canada it comes in black. At least according to the mazda website.

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
mrfister is right on about the low end power... it seems like I have to push down on the accelerator a bit to get going, but once I'm going it's pretty quick. Passing on the highway is no problem... I was actually going pretty fast coming home because I wanted to breakin the engine. I was trying different speeds because I heard you shouldn't stay at one speed for the breakin.

Yeah, mine does that too. I think it's normal.

Derek
That's the main reason why I got the 6MT, I felt more in control of the power. Congrats either way! The skyactiv is awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts

So two things:
+lack of low end power: the transmission/engine is tuned to react to your throttle input--its not a linear power delivery like on most cars. Notice how the brakes respond to the pressure you apply and not the distance your depress it? The car's engine works in much the same way

+Harsh startup: mine does this as well, its a characteristic of the Skyactiv engine and nothing to be concerned about.

OP, I did the same thing to get my M3--drove 130 miles to Atlanta to hunt down the exact model and color I wanted (5 door Skyactiv in Graphite Mica, sunroof and Bose). I'm happy I did! (and happy you did too!)

·
Registered
655 Posts
nice paint choice!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So two things:
+lack of low end power: the transmission/engine is tuned to react to your throttle input--its not a linear power delivery like on most cars. Notice how the brakes respond to the pressure you apply and not the distance your depress it? The car's engine works in much the same way

+Harsh startup: mine does this as well, its a characteristic of the Skyactiv engine and nothing to be concerned about.

OP, I did the same thing to get my M3--drove 130 miles to Atlanta to hunt down the exact model and color I wanted (5 door Skyactiv in Graphite Mica, sunroof and Bose). I'm happy I did! (and happy you did too!)
Yeah, it was a good idea! I'm glad I jumped on it haha.

nice paint choice!!
Thanks! It looks awesome.

I can now confirm this. I picked my car up a few days ago and the Indigo Lights interior is indeed black.

I am in love with this color.
Hmm that's weird how they limit us to dune in the US. I think indigo looks way better with a black interior. Dune looks so ugly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts