2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else miss this omission before buying the car? I am mad at myself, as that is one of those gauges I prefer over a dummy light.

Maybe I can mount a 3" one in the middle of the dash board? :tongue:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alot of us knew this going in. And most of us wish that our 3's had one. Recommend a Scan Gauge II.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is becoming a trend I guess.
My wife's 09 Fit sport doesn't have temperature gauge either.
It does have cold engine indicator that lights up until the engine reached it's optimal operating temperature though.

Wonder if somebody can hack the MID and display the temperature there. I'm pretty sure there is a sensor or probe on the engine already.

·
Rust sucks. Move to TX.
101 Posts
On this..question: When is the dummy cold light supposed to go off? Only if there is a thermostat stuck open or some other issue? If I were designing it, it would make sense to have the cold light be one until you reach the op temp range...Even when I start it up in 15 degrees there is no indication besides the rpms going through their cycle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
yeah, but where to mount it?

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
there hasn't been an economy car made in the last decade outside of ford and GM that came with a temp gauge instead of a dummy light. and half of the ones that did have gauges they're not functional, like most of the oil pressure/volt meter gauges; just a simple on or off, but in gauge form.

Reactions: MDLockard

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
OPk seriously guys how many people acutally looked at the guage before and said "wow its one line above normal I need to crank up the heater and slow down a bit". there is nothing that the light cant accomplish that the previous "guage" could. personally I prefer it not being there. it cleans up the dash look alot and it leaves room for a real guage when I get a supercharger.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have been going by where the Revs rest when idling. Someone mentioned in another thread that the needle rests at 750 rpm (MT cars) when fully warmed up and that seems to be the case in my car as well.

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
yeah. and when i start it up in the morning i let it settle to 1250 before i take off. one day i noticed my car was idling weird, like it'd be at 750 and then drop to about 600, then kick back up. then i realized I had it on defroster, which uses the AC. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OPk seriously guys how many people acutally looked at the guage before and said "wow its one line above normal I need to crank up the heater and slow down a bit". there is nothing that the light cant accomplish that the previous "guage" could. personally I prefer it not being there. it cleans up the dash look alot and it leaves room for a real guage when I get a supercharger.
One thing it can't accomplish is telling you when your engine is at temperature (not cold anymore). I would use my temp gauge to judge when to turn on the heat - I can't do that with a dummy light.

I may be in the minority, but I like having Temp and Charging gauges.

Oh - and my Protege has one, and it is an LX (bottom of line) model. It has electric door locks, but they only put the lock/unlock button on the driver's door - they still found room for a nice temp gauge.

I can't change what is, I just didn't notice it until I drove the car for a few days.

·
Rust sucks. Move to TX.
101 Posts
I have...saved me once from an overheat.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
On this..question: When is the dummy cold light supposed to go off? Only if there is a thermostat stuck open or some other issue? If I were designing it, it would make sense to have the cold light be one until you reach the op temp range...Even when I start it up in 15 degrees there is no indication besides the rpms going through their cycle.
the light turns on when it gets hot, and blinks when your engine's about to explode.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For me, I fell it's better to know when the engine starts displaying problem so I can be better prepared. With the indicator light it's probably too late when you see it comes on.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
^ this would be a good thing if for the past 10 years the temp guages were more then dummy lights with needles like it was said earlier. all the temp gauge has evolved into is a 3 or 4 position swich that once it moves past warm (the middle) its already to late same as a light. Plus im sure the new 3 has features built in to control over heating, like limp mode and cutting revs before along with the light. I know everybody has preferances but its just my personal opinion that im glad the "gauge" is gone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I want a temp gauge and oil gauge on my car. Scan Gauge doesn't show oil temps. I love the design of the temp gauge on the Miata. However, I found out it doesn't show actual temp and only moves when there's a problem like and idiot light. Not an improvement over the 3's idiot light.

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
my fiero has all the gauges, and as a GM product they're actually functional (even the oil pressure gauge, moves and oscillates depending on throttle, heat, etc). the temp gauge is stressful, though along with my manual fan switch (aka my A/C button, since i disconnected the A/C the only effect is to kick on the fan) I've saved the day many a time.

·
1,272 Posts
Completely off topic, but have any of you guys seen the new Rams? My Aunt has the Laramie Quad Cab one and it practically has a built in scan gauge. There is a little screen between the tach and speedo that can show you oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, tranny fluid temp, amongst other things. It is pretty freakin' sweet.

You can also change ALL of the personalization features right on the screen (mirrors tilting down when put in reverse is soooo nice), as opposed to us having to go to the dealer :/

Mazda should learn a lesson from Dodge in this department. Then again, I am comparing a $38,000+ truck to a ~$20,000 compact :tongue:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts