2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just finished installing the mirror on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT. I do have the rain sensing wipers, and I was a bit worried after reading other horror stories.

The install was pretty easy, but a few things were challenging. I can post the install directions and some tips if anyone is interested.

For me, the Compass and Homelink are must have technology accessories - more so then GPS.

Here is the install guide. I will post some notes and some other pics next.

There are some tricky parts to the install, but nothing outrageous. The big thing that had me worried was the rain sensor. On other forums, many talk about breaking the tabs on the windshield optics - if you do this, you have to replace the windshield. I have no idea why they broke them - once I slid down the built in clips, the electronics box basically fell off the optical mount. No prying required.

The directions do get a few things wrong, but nothing major. Here are some tips:

1. They tell you to make an "OEM tool" (if i make it, is it really OEM?) - anyway you need this to remove the mirror - but they say to not use a regular coat hanger, use a heavy one - I used some suspended ceiling Wire that was 2.8 mm, but it was to big to fit. I used a regular coat hanger and it worked fine.

2. They have you pull off the kick panel at the clutch, without telling you to remove the rubber first. Pull the rubber of the A-pillar all the way down past the kick panel.

3. The sill plate is tougher then expected - but it did pop loose with the right rocking

4. The A-Pillar trim is tough - directions tell you to pull it out 1/2" to get to the clip you need rotate - you really need to pull it out about 1.5" to get to the piece. There is an airbag at the top, so don't go jamming screwdrivers in there.

5. Wiring - easy to find the wires, but one of them is up under the dash - I was able to unplug the harness and put the tap on in more accessible location. Plugging the male connector into the tap looks and feels easy, but the female slot is very thin - my Homelink didn't work at first because the male spade slid to the side and didn't actually go into the female contact. Of course I discovered this after assembling things - no big thing.

6. Check Wire connections! Hopefully the next person will check the insertion of these wires before closing everything up. Yes I made this its own number to get the point across.

7. Homelink setup - not quite like the book. It has you hold up the remote and press it and homelink at same time. If rolling code opener (all in the last many years) then you have to push learn button on the main motor unit, then press homelink button again. I had to then press remote button and homelink button again.

8. The wire does show from mirror to trim plate that covers rain sensor, but the rest of the wire is hidden by rain sensor.

9. When you buy it - the "rain sensor option" means you are buying for a car with Rain sensor. You can NOT buy the mirror with a rain sensor in the mirror.

10. The 2 halves of the cover that go around the mirror and over the rain sensor have interlocking fingers in the middle that hold it together. Follow the directions - pushing down in the middle, helps to pop the finger loose from the opposite side so you can spread it apart.

11. Directions say to remove bolts that cover battery box. WTF? My battery box cover just snaps on, no bolts. I disconnected the battery as recommended - no sense accidentally shorting something.

12. Review Page 12 - I didn't have to reset DSC, but I did have to reset auto power window.

13. Put the seat all the way back before disconnecting the battery - if your seats are electric.

14. Take your time - I spent about 2 hours and didn't break or scratch anything.

15. Plastic prying tools make life easier

16. When you drill the hole in the trim for the wire - assemble the 2 halves and cover area with masking tape first. Don't try to make the hole smaller then listed, you won't see it, and the wire and cover is very stiff.

Here is the mirror installed - there is a wire visible until it tucks into cover plate around the round sensor. One drawback - the Homelink buttons are NOT illuminated. I only use the first one, so i can feel for it.

Here is the sill plate - or at least one half off it. The far left and far right tabs on the sill plate are the hardest, the 2 in the middle pop out easier. I found it easiest to rock it towards the inside and outside of the car working the left end free, then the right end, then working the middle. This picture shows the left tab, and one middle tab. The sill fits very tight, as long as you don't bend it in half, it can take some tugging.

Here is the kick panel that sits by your left foot. This was pretty easy, but the rubber covers it - the directions don't tell you to pull it off but you should. Pop the pin out, then slide the whole thing towards the rear of the car - it just has that one big tab that holds it into the jamb.

Here is the A-pillar panel. The clip at the top is very tough. It is hard to undo, but also can take a lot of punishment. You need to pull the top away a good 1.5" to get the needle nose pliers in so you can rotate the tab (Figure 1.6). The tab is black and about 1/2" long. you have to rotate it 90 degrees so slide through the slot. For reassembly, I didn't use pliers, I rotated the tab first then put the trim panel over it and used my fingers to push it through - it took me a few tries. The tab is NOT in this picture, it stays attached to car pillar (Figure 1.7) but it is black, and fits through the oval hole in the gray plastic A-Pillar trim in this picture.

Getting the mirror off was a little fun too. You MUST make the tool on the last page. I used a regular coat hanger and it worked fine. Cut the straight part of the coat hanger and bend it to match. A little pushing and little wiggle and the mirror popped off. The whole in the mirror base plate is on the passenger side bottom. The second pic, shows the spring clip that holds it on. Pushing straight up (parallel to windshield) did the trick. It could be that my oversized wire (I tried something else first, before the coat hanger) didn't fit because the hole in the base of the casting is not very round or clean. That is why I tried the coat hanger wire, even though the directions say that this will not work.

That is all I have for now. Finally, finding the wires was easy, accessing the violet one was difficult, but doable.

Attachments

·
Hella-gone
418 Posts
I just finished installing the mirror on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT. I do have the rain sensing wipers, and I was a bit worried after reading other horror stories.

The install was pretty easy, but a few things were challenging. I can post the install directions and some tips if anyone is interested.

For me, the Compass and Homelink are must have technology accessories - more so then GPS.
Please post the instructions if you don't mind

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've been wanting to do this since i got my car in july. maybe ill buy one someday soon. the install manual kinda relieved some of my worries on it being a difficult install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks! I'm about to install mine!

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
How much was this mirror... Did you buy it from the dealer?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought mine from a dealer in AZ - Mazdaspeed Parts / OEM Mazda Parts / Accessories

Best prices when i took into account the cost of shipping. They had a flat rate shipping of $10 - so I bought the all weather floor mats and a sunshade too. I paid $214.50 for the mirror and that included the install kit.

Not so sure how good the sunshade will be as it came rolled up, and I have not unrolled it yet.

·
1,277 Posts
Installed mine today, and boy did it suck. Thanks for all of the pictures alphadog, they really helped.

Do you have an auto, alphadog? I have a big head, and the only way I could get under the dash where I needed to access the violet wire was to hold the clutch down with the top of my head (which sucked and I could not even get it done that way). Eventually, I read your comment and unplugged it like you did. I had to telescope the steering wheel all the way out to see the plug and shine a flashlight on it, then reach under and unplug it.

I am very happy I am done with this, because it was not fun at all. Works awesome though and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is a manual trans too, so the clutch was a pain to work around. I have smaller hands, so i was able to get them in there, but I did the unplugging by feel, no getting my head in there.

Definitely that was the hardest part - getting to the violet wire.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a follow up - all works well. The only downside is the homelink buttons on the mirror are NOT illuminated - I only use the first one, so not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they had a backlight for night time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure how the memory works, but I would think if you hooked the homelink up to a switched power you would have to reprogram it every time you turned on the car.
The Mazda Homelink programming guide says "Some vehicles may require the ignition switch to be turned to the second (or “accessories”) position for programming and/or operation of Homelink." That would imply constant power is not needed to retain the programming.

·
Pearl White Zoom!
733 Posts
I just finished installing the mirror on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT. The install was pretty easy, but a few things were challenging. I can post the install directions and some tips if anyone is interested.
Thanks for posting this! My mirror is supposed to arrive next Monday and I plan to install it myself.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.