2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a '11 Mazda 3, 2.0 automatic. I'd like to do some mods to give it a little more pep (especially on the low-end). Increased mileage would be a plus, but at the least I'd not want it to decrease. I've been reading about the CS SRI and CAI. Would those upgrades be advisable for what I'm looking for? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Rich

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Hi,
I have a '11 Mazda 3, 2.0 automatic. I'd like to do some mods to give it a little more pep (especially on the low-end). Increased mileage would be a plus, but at the least I'd not want it to decrease. I've been reading about the CS SRI and CAI. Would those upgrades be advisable for what I'm looking for? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Rich
Well first of all welcome to the forum Rich! Second start up a new newbie thread in the new members sections and post pics! Third the CS SRI can be either an increase in MPG or decrease. Why I say that is if you have a lead foot and dont get hyped up by the noise it makes than yes your MPG's will go up by maybe 1-2. Now most of us dont get that since it makes a nice noise lol. Theres really not much here that can increase your MPG's unless we talk about your tires. Now for more zoom zoom I'd suggest to start out with new tires and even rims. Then move on to a RSB (rear sway bar) these two things will already give you a night and day difference on how the car drives. Third I's say springs and then SRI and exhaust.
Anyway happy modding!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I'll be sure to post pics and write in the new members section!

I've read that the Short Ram Intake can cause problems when sitting in traffic. Is the Cold Air Intake effective in solving that issue? I'm not too concerned about the nice noise, so do you think a regular K&N filter would be an effective improvement, at least for now?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I've read that the Short Ram Intake can cause problems when sitting in traffic.
What problems?
Ive had mine on forever and have had no problems what so ever! The only problem is trying to not keep your foot off the accelerator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read, if sitting in traffic for any length of time the air under the hood gets hot, and upon acceleration it will feel kind of dead (lack of power) until cooler air makes it's way in. Does adding an airbox solve that?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
From what I've read, if sitting in traffic for any length of time the air under the hood gets hot, and upon acceleration it will feel kind of dead (lack of power) until cooler air makes it's way in. Does adding an airbox solve that?
Ok what your talking about is heatsoak but even on 112 degree weather here I don't notice it but sure a cold air box helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First mods for my 3

Hi,

I have a 2011 2.0 Mazda3. I am just going to start making some performance mods. Nothing fancy, and nothing that will hopefully affect reliability, mpg, or the warranty.

I am planning to add the Corksport SRI and cold air box, advance the timing a bit, and add a performance muffler. ( I can't afford the full cat-back exhaust right now).

Can I expect a reasonable improvment in performance from doing just this? (I am hoping for maybe a 15hp increase at the wheels, enough to give it a little more oomph on the low end and for passing on the highway).

Also, any suggestions for a good muffler that won't increase exhaust noise much?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and ideas!
Rich

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Well Rich for mufflers you got two choices for what your looking for.
1: Racing Beat-Most expensive and also quietest exhaust
2: MazdaSpeed 3 Exhaust- Cheapest and usually can be bought by a member for around $150 or less. Louder than RB and has dual exhaust. (I have this exhaust currently right now)

SRI will maybe get you 2-3 hp if even but you will just notice more noise and a little more pull from the car but you can search for this on the forum.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Can I expect a reasonable improvment in performance from doing just this? (I am hoping for maybe a 15hp increase at the wheels, enough to give it a little more oomph on the low end and for passing on the highway).
Don't think you'll get those gains off of just that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Rich
I found this article and I believe it's been posted a million times, mine being one of them.
They used MSDS Headers, Corksport catback, and a Corksport SRI to get some more ponies out of the 2.0 auto and included some dyno results.

2010 Mazda 3 ATX - Import Tuner Magazine

Edit: On a side note, you might not want to do these if you're ruling out noisy options :p

You have another option to try the advanced timing mod which wont increase any noise, and bump up the HP a little with timing. Took me literally 5 minutes, did it on the same day I installed my SRI and got a noticeable increase in HP but nothing dramatic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kris,

I't sounds like starting with the timing mod and SRI for starters is the way to go for me :yes:

Rich

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frnchplayr15, would you recommend the Racing Beat exhaust over the Cork Sport? It sounds (no pun intended) like the CS would be louder, but do you think there'd be any difference in power?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys thing I would I get much in the way of improvement if I went with the combination of the Race Beat axle-back exhaust, timing-mod, and maybe drilling out the bottom of the stock airbox?

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts