2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so you guys know about the call up for brake inspection and lubrication in the owners manual maintenance chart? dealer wanted about $200 for that and swapping the tires (even though they have to be removed anyways!). i'm a cheap SOB so i had a time doing this on my own in the driveway today.

since the grease used is an unknown, i chose to clear out the old grease and start from scratch. not a bad idea anyways. i have to say, these brakes are wonderful to work on! very easy in the way the calipers are designed. everything is simple and easy to get at.

it took quite a bit of time though...i'm considering my warranty here so i'm forced to measure everything as i go according to the service manual...that means taking 10 points with a micrometer for thickness and using a dial indicator for runout....this car is less than a year old. normally, i'd wait until the rotors are vibrating when i hit the pedal or grinding metal. brakes are cheap when you do it on your own.

i ended up going with a synthetic silicone grease for the brake pins...should do the trick. the manual says to use some sort of grease on the shims for the pads. forget that. it's asking for trouble. not sure what the nonsense in the manual is for 'rubber grease' but it's pretty much impossible to buy now. my dealer doesn't even use that stuff.

this was also the first time i've had to rotate the rear piston in any car for the parking brake! thought i did something wrong since the parking brake seemed loose...until i remembered to build up some pressure so that the piston can return to its original position...turn the car on for a minute dummy.

anyone else do this DIY?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've never heard of lubricating your brakes as a maintenance.
Usually you would just need to re-grease them when you're changing out your rotors or pads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've never heard of lubricating your brakes as a maintenance.
Usually you would just need to re-grease them when you're changing out your rotors or pads.
Yeah, I've never heard of that either, and sounds like overkill. Doing it when you change the pads and rotors is a good idea, but that shouldn't happen until you've at least over 50k miles.

Rotating the rear caliper piston has been standard on Hondas for decades.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that this is overkill. However, if you read your manual this is a maintenance call up. Kinda like how it also vaguely says to retorque bolts and nuts...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pro tip: don't put the pins in the wrong hole when reassembling the calipers. my wife says that there is no wrong hole, but in this case i disagree.

result is the caliper will seize and near lock the wheel. overheated one of the brakes, but found it early. a simple pin swap solved it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts