2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
~43K on the original fill. It was DARK - and the drain plug had dark (metallic) particles on it too, that wiped off. Just like on our Odyssey's auto trans filler plug, except that filler plug is magnetic. Not good in a manual trans, IMHO.

I used Red Line MT-90 for refill. I've used Red Line trans fluids in the past with excellent results.

I'm wondering if any of you have also changed your manual trans fluid, and if it was dark/dirty also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Every manual I've ever owned back to a TR-6 in 1976 had metallic shavings on the plug or visible in the fluid upon draining/refilling a manual gearbox. If you notice trouble shifting or huge chunks in the fluid, that's one thing. But dark color and some shavings are par for the course at 43K miles on any manual.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always liked the way Red Line GL-4 fluid behaves. I will be taking a trip this weekend, so I'll be able to determine any mpg impacts - though I'm not expecting any.

Just under 2 quarts. A bit of a pain to fill - had to use a funnel into a hose into the trans, then clean it up after it started to overflow. Car HAS to be level also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use MT-90 for manual gearboxes mainly because it seems to help the gear synchronize better than other GL4 oils.

I also have a TR6 with a big magnetic plug on the "A Type" overdrive and it's amazing what that plug collects, even after 50 odd years.

Anyone know if there is there a magnetic drain plug recommended for a Mazda 3 ? I'd rather go this way than source a generic plug and hope it fits.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I use MT-90 for manual gearboxes mainly because it seems to help the gear synchronize better than other GL4 oils.
I used the same stuff and found shifting quality to be noticeably improved. No extra power or fuel economy, but hey I didn't expect that. I can see why everyone loves this stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup - used it in my '89 MX-6 GT for decades. Great MTL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered up some Redline MTL. Will post back on first impressions next week. MTL seems to meet the manufacturer spec of GL-4 75W80

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MTL is a great fluid. I chose MT-90 since I live in the south.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts