2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I've had a few weeks to try these tires out. Can't say I'm overly impressed. They're not bad but I don't find much benefit over the cheap ecopias that came with the car. The Continentals are definitely quieter and smoother. No real increase in handling.

What really has turned me off a bit is the side to side motion with these tires. Any wind and my car seems to wobble left to right on the highway. Doesn't seem to be slipping and the tires are well balanced. On grooved pavement, these things are a wild ride. The swaying gets worse and if there's any wind they feel downright unstable.

On normal pavement they seem just fine unless wind is very high.

Just checked the suspension over before putting these on. No problems with the car.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
256 Posts
So I've had a few weeks to try these tires out. Can't say I'm overly impressed. They're not bad but I don't find much benefit over the cheap ecopias that came with the car. The Continentals are definitely quieter and smoother. No real increase in handling.

What really has turned me off a bit is the side to side motion with these tires. Any wind and my car seems to wobble left to right on the highway. Doesn't seem to be slipping and the tires are well balanced. On grooved pavement, these things are a wild ride. The swaying gets worse and if there's any wind they feel downright unstable.

On normal pavement they seem just fine unless wind is very high.

Just checked the suspension over before putting these on. No problems with the car.
Do yours quality for a rebate ?

Too bad to hear.
Sounds like you would have prefered a more sporty tire (summer not all season).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do yours quality for a rebate ?

Too bad to hear.
Sounds like you would have prefered a more sporty tire (summer not all season).
Thanks for posting the rebate. Unfortunately I bought these tires months ago so it doesn't apply to me.

I'm actually quite fine with the overall performance. It's this strange side to side motion I'm getting that bothers me. I've never experienced anything quite like it. At this point I'm going to just have to put up with it. There's nothing technically wrong with these tires so I can't return them or anything. Better performance that I can notice would be nice but I can't say I hated the ecopias beyond the fact that they were noisier.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
256 Posts
Thanks for posting the rebate. Unfortunately I bought these tires months ago so it doesn't apply to me.

I'm actually quite fine with the overall performance. It's this strange side to side motion I'm getting that bothers me. I've never experienced anything quite like it. At this point I'm going to just have to put up with it. There's nothing technically wrong with these tires so I can't return them or anything. Better performance that I can notice would be nice but I can't say I hated the ecopias beyond the fact that they were noisier.
I got sold on Hankooks because of a rebate.
I dug deeper into tire performance and realized you pay for more performance but also started to weight the dollar cost for performance.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
After driving on these tires for a few weeks, they seem to have a break in period. They're now gripping a bit better and the side to side swaying motion is reduced. It's not entirely gone but much more tolerable.

I don't hate these tires but I don't think I'd buy them again. The thing that I find the biggest problem is the cost for performance. These are not high end performance tires, but they are also far from cheap ones. For the cost, these are actually more along the high end of mid range all seasons. For what they cost, they're not any better than cheaper tires. With the swaying motion, arguably worse. I was not expecting the world here. In fact, the same as the ecopias or slightly better is all. I don't think that to be unreasonable given the cost.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts