2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got rid of the tires that came with the car finally, I had ecopia tires. They weren't terrible but not great either. I figure I got around 100k kms out of them. Hard to say since I also have a set of snow tires.

These Continentals are only available at Canadian Tire here, not sure where they're sold elsewhere in the world if at all. Very highly rated and the price wasn't bad. seemed like a good balance between price and quality. With a set of winters, I really just needed something for wet roads when it rains.

Once I get the chance to give these a good trial, I'll report back with my thoughts. There's so many tires out there I always found it very difficult to make a decision.

I'll be doing a test run in the next week or two if the weather holds. I don't trust the kids working at Canadian Tire to have balanced the wheels properly and I'd rather know sooner than later. I will never let them touch my car. I'm even hesitant to let the dealer work on it!

Maybe I'm paranoid, but my past experiences have taught me otherwise. Even the 'best' shops seem to not be able to do the job right. Usually because they're going way too fast so they can make more money.

Anyone have a set of these?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I believe I have the ControlContact or PureContact on my '14 with 16" wheels. I have about 10k miles on them, MUCH better than the Ecopias I had on there, and worlds better than the absolutely garbage Uniroyal TigerPaws I replaced the Ecopias with.

So far they've only worn a 1/32", and they handle fine in wet or dry. No snow, but I had 'em up on the Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway and they did great on the twisty roads. Relatively quiet, hold a balance well, stop well, no noticeable effect on MPG.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Top in class tire according to Tirerack.
If you drove less, I would have recommended a summer-only compound tire for increased steering feel and grip, you chose well!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
My wife has the ProContact in 225/50/17 and I have the Extreme Contact DWS06 215/45/18.

Great tires.
CK

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top in class tire according to Tirerack.
If you drove less, I would have recommended a summer-only compound tire for increased steering feel and grip, you chose well!
I considered that, I have made that choice in the past. Problem was availability. Family gave me a bunch of gift cards for CT this past Christmas - nearly $275 worth! - so I was stuck with them. They don't have much in the way of summer only tires.

And then there's tread life...longer lasting is something that I need. From what I found, the summer only tires don't usually last as long.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried the tires out today - don't tell my insurance company :p I realized two things: 1. Having torque limiting bars for putting tires on is absolutely amazing and 2. These tires are pretty damn good.

Mostly I wanted to see that the idiots at CT balanced them right (they did) but they're far quieter than the ecopias. Handled the road just great. Took a tight turn in the suburbs at 70km/h and they grabbed just fine.

I'll put some more info up once I get a chance to really get used to them later in the spring. The winter tires are back on. Noisey and gas guzzling of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the very best tires where the goodyear tripletred tires for the mazda 3. I drove these for 9 years, until Goodyear decided to eliminate them. Winter and summer you could not beat the snow and rain traction. I am looking for something comparable has anyone found anything? All season

·
Registered
245 Posts
I put continental true contact on my wife’s last Forester. Absolutely no complaints in the 30,000 miles until we traded it in.

That said, as a sample of one, we are not much help. They served us well but I can’t compare them to other tires on the market that we did buy. We bought them because of their high ratings on TireRack and reasonable price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got rid of the tires that came with the car finally, I had ecopia tires. They weren't terrible but not great either. I figure I got around 100k kms out of them. Hard to say since I also have a set of snow tires.

These Continentals are only available at Canadian Tire here, not sure where they're sold elsewhere in the world if at all. Very highly rated and the price wasn't bad. seemed like a good balance between price and quality. With a set of winters, I really just needed something for wet roads when it rains.

Once I get the chance to give these a good trial, I'll report back with my thoughts. There's so many tires out there I always found it very difficult to make a decision.

I'll be doing a test run in the next week or two if the weather holds. I don't trust the kids working at Canadian Tire to have balanced the wheels properly and I'd rather know sooner than later. I will never let them touch my car. I'm even hesitant to let the dealer work on it!

Maybe I'm paranoid, but my past experiences have taught me otherwise. Even the 'best' shops seem to not be able to do the job right. Usually because they're going way too fast so they can make more money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Considered about five different brands including Continental.
This took some effort but Tire Track helped. The salesmen confirmed the quality and said that he put them on his parents car in snow country ... and contrary to many reviews they run quiet. I concur; very quiet. Will they last? I do not know. The stock tires would have gone well over 30,000 miles. But we wanted 2 new front tires for the mountains. These are very true round. Very happy with purchase.
Ended up with 215/45R-18 Vredestein Quatrac 5 XL

·
Registered
114 Posts
So the very best tires where the goodyear tripletred tires for the mazda 3. I drove these for 9 years, until Goodyear decided to eliminate them. Winter and summer you could not beat the snow and rain traction. I am looking for something comparable has anyone found anything? All season
You'll be impressed with the new breed of all seasons/performance all seasons in the line of as3+ and dws06. Better in all capacity but for maybe overall treadware towards the end of the tread depth and absolute tread noise.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
67 Posts
You'll be impressed with the new breed of all seasons/performance all seasons in the line of as3+ and dws06. Better in all capacity but for maybe overall treadware towards the end of the tread depth and absolute tread noise.

I wish there was a filter by where the tires are made. Call me what you will, but I will only buy tires made in Japan or USA.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I wish there was a filter by where the tires are made. Call me what you will, but I will only buy tires made in Japan or USA.
Local tire nut, I start shopping tires 6 months before I need them and have been the person replacing tires on 6 or 7 different vehicles over the years. So I've got a good handle on what to and not to get. Also, you can chat with the reps at www.tirerack.com and they can help you in this arena very well.

If you are looking for something comparable to the triple treads then you want a grand touring tire either one of these would be in your favor.
Michelin CrossClimate+ SIZE: 225/45ZR18
ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY - SIZE: 225/45R18

If you are looking for something in the same space as what came with the car as higher performance cornering control etc. These have been reviewing well.
EAGLE EXHILARATE -SIZE: 225/45ZR18

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Local tire nut, I start shopping tires 6 months before I need them and have been the person replacing tires on 6 or 7 different vehicles over the years. So I've got a good handle on what to and not to get. Also, you can chat with the reps at www.tirerack.com and they can help you in this arena very well.

If you are looking for something comparable to the triple treads then you want a grand touring tire either one of these would be in your favor.
Michelin CrossClimate+ SIZE: 225/45ZR18
ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY - SIZE: 225/45R18

If you are looking for something in the same space as what came with the car as higher performance cornering control etc. These have been reviewing well.
EAGLE EXHILARATE -SIZE: 225/45ZR18
Sounds like you do the same kinda thing I do. Get your new tires several months ahead and then there's no panic to get them. I hate having to rush a large purchase, never works out.

I'll be putting the new Continentals on today, can't believe I'm swapping my winters for summers this soon. I'll give a more long term review/opinion of these tires after a while.

I'll also see if my efforts to stop the rear brake pads from hanging up have been successful. I'll probably make another post about that if it was.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts

CT has those Continentals DWS on sale for $238.00 ea vs the reg price @ $268.00
About 1 1/2 months ago

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CT has those Continentals DWS on sale for $238.00 ea vs the reg price @ $268.00
About 1 1/2 months ago
Pretty sure that's when I got them. They go on sale all the time, so maybe a little before even. I know I didn't pay full price. Who pays full price for anything at CT??

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Pretty sure that's when I got them. They go on sale all the time, so maybe a little before even. I know I didn't pay full price. Who pays full price for anything at CT??
Canadian Franchise , but originated in the UK
This company in Quebec seems to sell them each @ $217 with installation.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I gotta say, all the talk of these tire upgrades are making me a bit jealous... Hahaha... I'm doing my best to eat up the OEM ones but it's gonna be a while before they're ready to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Due to distribution, oftentimes the same make/model/size will have stock from 2-3 countries depending on what part of the world you live in, where your retailer sources their tires from, etc.

I gotta say, all the talk of these tire upgrades are making me a bit jealous... Hahaha... I'm doing my best to eat up the OEM ones but it's gonna be a while before they're ready to go.
If they are in good nick, you can probably still sell them for $40-50/tire locally. Sold the OEM's on the Mazda 3 brand new for $400 and got a set of top of the line Michelin AS3+'s for $650 installed.
Friends don't let friends drive on OEM rubber bands. :)
I recall reading that Discount Tires in the states will also take trade ins if you buy a new set there. I'd be curious what they'd offer for 5mile old OEM's!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
259 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts